I got word recently that the DNR is going to close Melbourne Lake out on the Olympic Peninsula. Melbourne is about ten miles north east of Lake Cushman and is just outside of the National Forest on state land. Due to budget constraints the DNR is thinking about shutting down the campground located there and dumping a bunch of stumps in the road to block access. This, to put it bluntly, blows. I’ve been using Melbourne for two summers running now and it’s a great bass lake in a great location. Having a DNR campground located so closely to the (usually) crowded National Park campgrounds is also a great alternative to keep in mind whenever I travel out that way. Currently the lake only holds bass and perch, none of which are monsters, but I’ve seen pictures of a nice 5-pound largemouth taken this summer.

I am going to write the DNR and implore them to keep this lake open. I am asking any concerned enthusiasts who prefer seclusion and scenery over chaos at the boat launch to do the same. If not, at least do yourself the favor and check out Melbourne this summer. It kills me to recommend this (my) private lake to the world, but it may be your last chance.

DNR/South Puget Sound Region 950 Farman Ave. N. PO Box 68 Enumclaw, WA 98022-0068 PH: (800)527-3305 FX: (360) 825-1672

p.s. Does anyone know WHY the DNR “dumps stumps” to block lake access? It just seems like they’re inviting broken ankles. I know a gate costs $$, but laying down a minefield of jagged stumps seems cruel and unusual….