meat hunter Offline
Fry

Loc: edgewood
where the hell are all the buck's anybody seeing any

#549443 - 10/26/09 10:25 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: meat hunter]
jay dog Offline
Alevin

Loc: shelton, wa.
All of nice bucks i'm spotting are just outside shooting light. The next few days should be interesting.

#549490 - 10/27/09 12:32 AM Re: deer hunting [Re: jay dog]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
Wa state sucks. They purposely close deer season right at the beginning of the rut. Wait till the last day or two of the season and you will see bucks everywhere. Last year, I hunted all season and didnt see one buck. The last two days of the season I saw 4 legal bucks (the rut was just starting).

#549506 - 10/27/09 01:05 AM Re: deer hunting [Re: huntncoug]
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
I seen one legal Whitetail but was dark and on private property and my buddy saw two legal Mulies but where so far away they couldn't even try a stalk on them.

Someday the state will figure out people like deer meat and do hunt to help supply their freezers. I know not all meat hunt but most I know do.

I did notice though that where I hunt they are started plowing and planting the old alfalfa fields they bought from a local rancher. Since they stopped planting after buying it and stopped winter feedings that the deer have suffered even harder times in our winters. So if they wont feed I hope the planted fields will help boost the health of the herd a little bit better.

#549514 - 10/27/09 01:21 AM Re: deer hunting [Re: huntncoug]
Goodman Offline
Fry

Loc: Oly, WA
It's been a little slow for me. I've rattled a few in hunting reprod and dense brush/timber. Not a shooter or no shot so far. No takers with the grunt tube or estrous bleat. Have yet to see a buck bigger than a fork in the open since the first week of September. I spent the money on the multiple season tag so I've been at it since Sept. 1.

I agree on the seasons in this state. It pisses me off rifle season is on both sides of the rut. I've been bow hunting rifle season for years. I head to southern Wisconsin the first two weeks of November every year, so it works out.

Try getting set up in the thick stuff where a buck will feel comfortable moving in the daylight and try rattling. Get the best shooting lanes you can, but if you can see farther than 30 yards it's probably not thick enough. If you can get in a tree stand all the better. Bucks will try to circle down wind so try to set up in an area where they can't. Be patient, blacktails are sneaky bastards and by far the hardest deer to hunt. Rattle hard and loud for 2-4 minutes. Once again be patient. Set up off of rubs or a rub line. Bucks will start cruising those rub lines and check them periodically through the day. On Friday I was walking to the area I intended to hunt and stopped to check out a fresh rub. I walked into the brush to see if there were any more and jumped a buck checking out his rubs. This happened again with another buck 1/2 mile down the road. I don't use this method in areas I regularly hunt or if I'm hunting a specific buck. Not many people do this here and I try not to school any bucks in areas I frequent regularly. Grunt tubes and estrous bleats will start to work soon. I've had best success with these tools during the late hunt.

Also, try hunting ridges on the downwind side. Bucks will move/bed in areas they can get the scent from across the ridge and from below with the warm upward thermals. I've heard that called a thermal tunnel and that's where the bucks will be. It's discussed at length in "Hill Country Bucks" by Blood Brothers Outdooors. It's the best hunting video I've ever seen. It's about whitetails, but I've found most of it directly applies to all deer/elk. I also have a 12 second cameo appearance in it. If you ask nicely, you could be the first person ever to get my autograph. I don't get any royalties, in fact I had to by my own copy.

Watch the does. If you see one with it's tail sticking straight out keep an eye on it, it's in heat.

Or just hunt the last two days. Some years when I don't have time to put boot to dirt, that's what I do.

Hope this helps.

#549590 - 10/27/09 12:21 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Goodman]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
I know of 5 branched antler bt's killed since Thursday. Every one of them was with does. The rut is kicking in and this week through Sat. will see a lot of nice bucks taken.

#549591 - 10/27/09 12:26 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Goodman]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: Goodman
It's been a little slow for me. I've rattled a few in hunting reprod and dense brush/timber. Not a shooter or no shot so far. No takers with the grunt tube or estrous bleat. Have yet to see a buck bigger than a fork in the open since the first week of September. I spent the money on the multiple season tag so I've been at it since Sept. 1.

I agree on the seasons in this state. It pisses me off rifle season is on both sides of the rut. I've been bow hunting rifle season for years. I head to southern Wisconsin the first two weeks of November every year, so it works out.

Try getting set up in the thick stuff where a buck will feel comfortable moving in the daylight and try rattling. Get the best shooting lanes you can, but if you can see farther than 30 yards it's probably not thick enough. If you can get in a tree stand all the better. Bucks will try to circle down wind so try to set up in an area where they can't. Be patient, blacktails are sneaky bastards and by far the hardest deer to hunt. Rattle hard and loud for 2-4 minutes. Once again be patient. Set up off of rubs or a rub line. Bucks will start cruising those rub lines and check them periodically through the day. On Friday I was walking to the area I intended to hunt and stopped to check out a fresh rub. I walked into the brush to see if there were any more and jumped a buck checking out his rubs. This happened again with another buck 1/2 mile down the road. I don't use this method in areas I regularly hunt or if I'm hunting a specific buck. Not many people do this here and I try not to school any bucks in areas I frequent regularly. Grunt tubes and estrous bleats will start to work soon. I've had best success with these tools during the late hunt.

Also, try hunting ridges on the downwind side. Bucks will move/bed in areas they can get the scent from across the ridge and from below with the warm upward thermals. I've heard that called a thermal tunnel and that's where the bucks will be. It's discussed at length in "Hill Country Bucks" by Blood Brothers Outdooors. It's the best hunting video I've ever seen. It's about whitetails, but I've found most of it directly applies to all deer/elk. I also have a 12 second cameo appearance in it. If you ask nicely, you could be the first person ever to get my autograph. I don't get any royalties, in fact I had to by my own copy.

Watch the does. If you see one with it's tail sticking straight out keep an eye on it, it's in heat.

Or just hunt the last two days. Some years when I don't have time to put boot to dirt, that's what I do.

Hope this helps.

Excellent post Goodman! +10.

I've seen your license plate a couple of times around Olympia, and maybe parked at the Fuller Bridge boat ramp?

I have a couple of questions for you about your post.

I am hunting the Nov 26 through Dec 15 late ML hunt. It will be a few days after the late-hunt for BT. Would you suggest any of those tools for that time frame, i.e. hoping to get action during the second rut? I have a couple of areas I know of that are a lot like what you just suggested.

Which grunt tube or estrous bleat do you recommend? How do you use one of those? What time of day, and what is the cadence like? How long do you wait for something to come to one of those sounds?

Thanks in advance for any help, again that was a good post.

#549599 - 10/27/09 12:44 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Goodman]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Get out of the truck and get wet, cold and dirty. That's the only way that I've hunted for the last 19 years. Granted there were a few suicidal deer, but unless you go where they live you will see very few bucks. 19 deer in 19 years, with only 2 dry side bucks in the mix. When I hunted modern rifle, most bucks came in the early season. Now that I hunt ML, most bucks come in December.

I'm always amazed at the number of road hunters with clean and dry pants, and blaze orange vests that look like they just came back from the cleaners.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#549616 - 10/27/09 01:26 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Dogfish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I got that part of it dialed in.

If I had to hunt on dry roads, I would have already lost interest in this stuff.

#549654 - 10/27/09 02:58 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Plus, too many road hunters screw up my grouse hunting!

#549684 - 10/27/09 04:09 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Dogfish]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

I'm always amazed at the number of road hunters with clean and dry pants, and blaze orange vests that look like they just came back from the cleaners.

I have pondered this and it seems more benificial if these guys stay in the truck because they are no doubt the ones that go half a mile (or less) from their truck and get lost. Once good and lost they shoot a deer and pop out of the woods with no clue on how to get back to the deer or the way back to the truck.

j7 2012

#549709 - 10/27/09 04:46 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: j 7]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

ive had no trouble finding bucks this season. ive been seeing them chasing does all season long. and about 70% of the bucks i have been seeing taken have been all rutted up.

now if i could just connect with one of them.

#549744 - 10/27/09 05:37 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: bankbum]
jay dog Offline
Alevin

Loc: shelton, wa.

Well I have really struggled this year, after a quick trip to the eastside of the state and coming back empty handed, I knew it was time to come home and hit the brush and get wet. I have been able to watch the rut progress which has been interesting. Stayed home from work today, went to the same spot I always hunt, hunted it the same way I always do and "BAM" a nice 3X3 hit the ground. I saw the same deer two days ago and its neck had no swelling, this morning it was swollen as hell and very tough to skin out. He was within 50 yards of another smaller buck and two does. I will post photos later.

#549790 - 10/27/09 06:44 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: jay dog]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Good job there Jaydog!

My son and I have hunted the same piece of ground 4 times now and all we have seen is a doe and fawn. It is a bike in area that RR knows about, but I've taken 6 or 7 deer up there over the years so I know it is only a matter of time, crossing paths. Just a few more trips and I get to stop playing guide for my son and then I'll actually get to hunt.

#549876 - 10/27/09 10:42 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Dogfish]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I finally got to see one tonight... but... I wasn't real keen on shooting a 3 inch spike. I had to work in a rural area and knew there were lots of does in the area, but didn't get to where I could hunt till almost 6:00. There were several rigs at the gate I like so I drove down to the edge of a clear cut and decided to take a quick walk down a cat track. Got out, scoped the clear cut and didn't see anything, reached down for my gun and when I looked back up a deer was staring at me at about 200 yards. I put the lenses on it and saw what I was sure was little spikes. He appeared alone so I slowly got ready, looked back and he was still just standing there. I decided to walk up to a hundred yards or so and think it over. Got there, started looking and found the deer just down from where I had seen it. A long look and there are no spikes. Looked all around and no other deer. Man, am I just blind. I was sure it was a spike. I started thinking if I saw the spike I might just as well shoot it since I might not get another chance to hunt. Well at 6:24 the little doe made it to the edge of the clearing, and as she looks back at me up jumps a second deer and looks back. It was too dark to tell, but I think I found my little buck. Man, those 2 - 3 inch horns are hard for me to see. I am glad I didn't shoot it, I just wish I could say I purposely passed it over.

#549922 - 10/28/09 12:30 AM Re: deer hunting [Re: Krijack]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
Hiked in a couple miles to one of my honey holes hoping to get the girlfriend on a buck. We set up on a good clearcut and waited. After about ten minutes a guy on one of those Rhino ATV's came riding in on a road below us. These roads are closed to all motorized use, if he would have came by us I would have given him a piece of my mind. Do these guys think they are above the law? All the DNR gates in my area are plainly posted that motorized vehicle use is prohibited.

#550558 - 10/29/09 03:36 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: huntncoug]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
I am giving it a shot up by Detriot Lake over the weekend

#550697 - 10/29/09 09:43 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Dogfish]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
That was a great post Goodman and like Andy says, you have to get out of the truck and put the work in to have any hope of consistent success with blacktails. I employed all the techniques this past week that Goodman mentioned and was into deer every day, passing up several bucks before taking the one below.

This year the addition of the mountain bike was by far the best thing I've ever done. Washing the clothes in Scent Away and using blacktail doe in estrus also helped, as I know the buck in the link below and the other one with him would have winded me had I not taken these precautions.

Here's the blacktail I killed a couple of days ago:
Blacktail Down

#550716 - 10/29/09 11:18 PM Re: deer hunting [Re: Robbo]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Way to go Rob, great deer!!! I missed a real dandy mulie during muzzleloader season. Couldn't hunt the rifle opener, but had the next week off. Saw lots and lots of little bucks....hung with cuzin..headed to MT in a week.

#550730 - 10/30/09 12:14 AM Re: deer hunting [Re: snit]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Thanks! Little Hog told me you guys were headed to MT...sounds like fun. Dog Knot wants me to put in for that one with ya'all next year, might just do that. Hope the wolves don't screw things up too bad for you guys. A friend just came out of the Bob Marshall Wilderness and said the hunting was the worst he'd ever seen. Best of luck to you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
brandy, chuckr37, Dick Boneski, Dickie, RobEstlund
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |