LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#750863 - 03/30/12 07:20 PM Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ?
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
Hey, If Vedder can bear his soul about how .. two many .. times he has to pee every half hour, as an equally ol' phart, so can I.

I got hired at Boeing in March 1973 when I was 21. Started out as a machined parts finisher...burr bench, one pitiful step above the guy who swept the floors...and after three months I started a 2.5 year long conventional milling machine training program. A year or so after that I was fortunate enough to be accepted into full blown four year machinist apprenticeship program co-managed by the Boeing Company and IAM Local 751.

Fast forward twenty years. Testicular cancer and a small inheritance convinced me it was time to quit that job at Boeing and start fishing hard....and I did.

Then I got involved with some fishing guide and local fisheries politics here in Lewis County when I moved down here in 1994. Honestly, that did not work out so well for me.

What next ? Sell the two Willie Predators I had and buy another CNC machine or two for the shop and start building custom target rifles. I always like competitive shootin, and while I was never really very good at it, it was fun and challenging. However, the thrill of seeing many of the rifles I built here in my shop win NRA Rifle National Silhouette Championships in PA and TX and AZ and NM was cool.

So now, here we are at the reason for this post....When I decided to finally retire for the second time, I was trying my best to settle outstanding accounts, I had this action truing and rebarrel job from this guy in Utah, damn, he would just not return my calls. I tried to contact him through the metallic silhouete websites to no avail. All I got was greif from those people.

So all I could do with this abandoned rifle was to add an old stock to it and gift it to a dear freind in Othello who happens to own pretty much all of the land bordering the Columbia Natiional Wildlife Refuge along Crab Creek from Macmanamon Rd. down through the canyons all the way to Hwy. 26.

He's got a new house built and he said he needed a long range deck gun to discourage those damg coyotes from messing with his cows.

Hmmm. I think I got just what you need.

.260 Remington
Remington 700 short action
ADL Magazine Box Assembly
Brown Precision Silhouette Stock
NW Hydro Print Graphics
27.5 Shilen Select Match Barrel
6.5 cal. x 8 twist
Oversized Recoil Lug
Homemade rings and trigger guard

#750870 - 03/30/12 07:47 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I like those folks at NW Hydroprint. Neat designs.

Nice job on the shooter there!

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#750872 - 03/30/12 07:58 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Very nice work.

Some of those 6.5 pills look like arrows, they're so long.
Wile E. Coyote will have a bad day when he meets that cannon.

#750892 - 03/30/12 08:55 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: Black Bart
Hey, If Vedder can bear his soul about how .. two many .. times he has to pee every half hour, as an equally ol' phart, so can I.

haha. very funny.

Sick gun by the way.

#751039 - 03/31/12 03:22 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Wishing you success and happiness along the trajectory of your third career. Keep postin' pixels!

#751058 - 03/31/12 05:07 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Driftin']
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Driftin... I acutally have a pretty cool photo essay compiled explaining the various steps I used to take while rebarreling an off the shelf Remington 700 and turning it into a full blown custom target rig for High Power Rifle Metalic Silhouette.

Maybe in another thread. No sense just showin' off and all.

#751062 - 03/31/12 05:47 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Very cool gun!!! I would write more but gotta go pee.

#751064 - 03/31/12 06:04 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Hey, it's cool....I can wait.

#751068 - 03/31/12 06:22 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Okay, back. That is by far the coolest stock I ever saw. Not too much into rifles but would be proud of that if it were mine.Really nice work!

Tomorrow I go pick up a shotgun I have been lusting after for months - a 20 gauge Benelli Montefletro auto. Then I need to find some birds to shoot.

#751071 - 03/31/12 06:45 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Beneli shotguns.... wished they were around back through the eighties. People rave about German cars, I feel the same way about Italian shotguns. Could never afford the nice ones but even the Berreta 302 semi auto's I used in my thirties were so light and fast swinging, digesting every shell from a 7 1/2 trap load to a 2 oz. Federal Premium copper plated BB round without a hitch.

That was way back before the steel shot mandate came down.

Now Dave, if you are interested in some very exclusive upland bird and waterfowl hunting opportunities in the columbia basin, I just happen to know a guy or two in Othello area that have more than just a few dozen miles of fenceline that borders the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge.

Ducks Geese, Pheasants & Quail. All it takes is some of those stock profits to pay for the access fee.

#751072 - 03/31/12 07:03 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Bart my other shotgun is an old Beretta A l 2. I expect you are familiar with that gun as well. I would love to get in on some of the private land around Othello, but don't think I can afford it. Maybe if the market hit's 15,000 by October I will look into it.

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/31/12 07:05 PM)

#751078 - 03/31/12 07:23 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

My best wishes for 15,00 as well. It's been quite a long enduring strugle to the upside after year 2000 hasn't it ?

Regardless of where you go to hunt birds, an enthusiastic young dog, a new fancy Italian shotgun, I just can't see where you could go wrong.

That is,....unless there were no less than six strippers working the tent pole along the Crab Creek or Eagle Lakes hunting camp in the Columbia Basin on Saturday night.

#751080 - 03/31/12 07:28 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

I might be interested now that I know a bit more about this hunt. beer

#751082 - 03/31/12 08:06 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Have hunted song dogs in that AO but obviously missed the Saturday night show....

#751125 - 03/31/12 11:19 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I actually have a pretty cool photo essay compiled explaining the various steps I used to take while rebarreling an off the shelf Remington 700 and turning it into a full blown custom target rig for High Power Rifle Metallic Silhouette. Maybe in another thread.No sense just showin' off and all

I'd love to see it personally.

c/22

#751225 - 04/01/12 06:47 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: ]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Redd.... This my first go round with these guys. Strangely enough, " I know a guy " who is a custom composite rifle stock maker here in my local area. He does a fair amount of business with these guys at NW Hydro Print on a regular basis and he took care of the stock work on this job for me.

My stock maker friend just sends them a sanded and primed stock. NW Hydro then does the masking of the barrel channel, recoil pad, and trigger guard recesss. Then NW Hydro dips the prepared stock into the pattern that you chose. They then clear coats the whole thing. From my perspective, it's durable and hard as nails.

#751354 - 04/02/12 02:05 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
NW Hydroprint is based in Monte and they attended our DU banquet in 2011. They brought along samples of their work, and picked up a fair amount of business. One of my friends has used them for a number of items, and all have been perfect.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#751405 - 04/02/12 06:47 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

Dave, truth be told, back in those days, when then Brunswick in Othello was dead on a Saturday, that long drive over to Wapato and back made for a long evening. I can't really be sure now after all these years but I believe between the four of the strippers we could find, there was at least one full mouthful of teeth.

#751571 - 04/03/12 02:05 PM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Very nice!

8 twist outta be great runnin 123 or 140 Amax!

#751800 - 04/04/12 12:08 AM Re: Why in the world would you want to be a gunsmith ? [Re: Black Bart]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

Dave, truth be told, back in those days, when then Brunswick in Othello was dead on a Saturday, that long drive over to Wapato and back made for a long evening. I can't really be sure now after all these years but I believe between the four of the strippers we could find, there was at least one full mouthful of teeth.

Sounds like the peeler bar in Terrace, B.C.

I hear.

Edited by Dave Vedder (04/04/12 12:09 AM)

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1206 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |