Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#336481 - 03/01/07 10:19 PM Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis ****
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Yeaaaa I'm done. Well done for now. I'm intending on doing this again but with more samples, a pulley and crank system, and having Jess mark the lines so I test them blind. I'll wait till I get more samples. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or comments on how the results might have practical applications....fire away. Otherwise scroll down for my address. Send me more line samples.

Sorry for the scientific paper format. It just seemed natural considering all the stats.

5 pages of results in my little notebook. Got a bit tedious at the end, but I'm glad I did it.

A Home Test of '10 pound test' Monofilament and Mono Hybrid Fishing lines For Breaking Strength, and Retained Strength Post-Failure.

VHawk

ABSTRACT

This line study was done in order to compare the relative strength of nylon, and nylon hybrid fishing lines; As well as the capacity of those lines to retain strength after being stretched to failure. The experiment involved tying each end of a 36 inch section of line, rated as "10 pound test", to an 8/0 trolling hook, using a Palomar knot, one hook was attached to a static point, the other hook was attached to a hand held/hand pulled digital scale. Lines were pulled until failure, highest recorded weight prior to line failure was recorded. Test repeated with longest sample of failed line in order to test retained strength. Test was repeated 5 times per line, with lowest result being tossed out. In general, lines with larger diameters, were able to tolerate greater tension. Initial diameters had no effect on retained strength. Although not objectively measured, fluorocarbon/mono hybrid lines seemed to have the least amount of stretch, and the lower diameter lines seemed to have the greatest amount of stretch. Further experiments should include improving the mechanism by which tension is applied to the lines, increases in number of tests in order to a more accurate overall result, and measurement of elasticity.

INTRODUCTION

These tests were conducted to provide some objective data to compare some of the multitude of fishing lines available to the modern angler. Although other consumptive outdoor activities are rigorous in the testing of their equipment, i.e. self loading hunters, bowhunters, there is little nonbiased information available comparing equivalent pound test lines. This experiment provides as starting point for both data collection, as well as a starting point for development of a methodology that is affordable, and of practical use in a private home, or garage.

METHODS

Materials:

20 foot sections of line, marked as "10 pound test", were obtained from Verles Marine Supply in Shelton (Tell them thanks), and Sportsmen Warehouse in Lacey. A new Lymann stainless steel dial caliper, 0.001" was used to measure line diameters. A new Rapala hand held digital scale, 50 pound capacity was used to measure tensions. 2 double 8/0 stainless steel trolling hooks were used to attach the tag ends of the line. Generic distilled water was used to soak lines prior to testing.

Procedure:

36 inch section of lines were measured by caliper for actual diameter at each tag end, and center of segment. Results were averaged for reported result. The lines were then individually soaked for 45 minutes in distilled water. Distilled water being used to avoid problems with cholorine affecting the lines. Lines were then tied using a Palomar knot as shown in Practical Fishing Knots II to each of the hooks. One hook was attached to a chair leg, the other was attached to the hook on the scale. The scale was then pulled, rate of tension was increased by about one pound for each 3 second count, constant observation of meter was made until line broke. Highest reading was recorded. Longest section of line was retrieved, 4 inches off broken tag end was clipped, line retied to hook, and procedure repeated. This was done 5 times for each line. Lowest result dropped.

RESULTS

In order to compare relative strength of lines with different diameters, line diameter was multiplied by 1000, and then divided by avg breaking strength.
The percentage represents how much strength the line retained after it was pulled to breaking point.

"10 pound Test"......Lbs per 0.001"................Lbs per 0.001
..........................Fresh Line.....................Fatigued Line

P Line Xtra....................1.23........................1.22......98%
Stren xtra.....................1.17........................1.06......90%
Sufix Elite.....................1.12........................0.94......84%
P Line Floroclear..............1.05.......................1.04.......99%
Maxima Cham.................1.00........................0.56.......56%
Trilene Big Game HiVis.......1.05.......................0.85.......84%
Stren Magnathin...............0.97.......................0.77.......79%
Yozuri Clear....................0.95.......................0.85.......89%
Izorline xxx HiVis Copolymer.0.94......................0.76........81%
Maxima UG....................0.93.......................0.64........70%
Maxima HiVis..................0.92.......................0.78........78%
Trilene Xtra....................0.91.......................0.72........80%
PLine CFX Fluoro..............0.89........................0.75.......84%
Trilene.........................0.88........................0.64........73%
Vanish Fluorocarbon..........0.88.......................0.51........58%
Sufix Seige....................0.83........................0.71.......86%
P Line..........................0.72.......................0.62........84%

Line Brand[2] ..........Avg Break strength......AVg Fatigue Strength
Rated"10 Pound Test"

P Line CFX Fluro ............10.7 lbs.............9 lbs
P Line Floroclear ............11.6 lbs ............11.5 lbs
P Line Xtra....................17.3 lbs............ 17.1 lbs
P Line standard............. 8.1 lbs.............. 6.8 lbs

Sufix Seige....................10 lbs...............8.6 lbs
Sufix Elite.....................13.5 lbs............11.3 lbs

Maxima HiVis.................13 lbs...............11 lbs
Maxima Chameleon..........14 lbs................7.9 lbs
Maxima Ultragreen...........13.7lbs..............9 lbs

Trilene.........................9.6 Lbs.............. 7 lbs
Trilene XT.....................10 lbs.................8lbs
Trilene Big Game HiVis......13.6lbs...............10.3

Vanish Fluorocarbon...........9.6 lbs..............5.6 lbs
Stren xtra strong..............14lbs................12.7 lbs
Izorline xxx Hi Vis copolymer..12.7 lbs...........10.3 lbs
Stren Magnathin...............9.7 lbs...............7.7lbs
Yozuri hybrid clear............11.5 lbs..............10.2 lbs

Rated "10 Pound Test"......Stated Diameter........Actual Diameter

P Line Flurocarbon...........none listed.....0.012
P Line Floroclear.............none listed.....0.011
P Line Xtra....................none listed.....0.014
P Line standard ....................0.011.....0.011

Sufix Seige..........................0.012....0.012
Sufix Elite...........................0.012.....0.012

Maxima HiVis......................0.012.....0.014
Maxima Chameleon...............0.012.....0.014
Maxima Ultragreen................0.012.....0.014

Trilene .............................0.011.....0.011
Trilene XT..........................0.011....0.011
Trilene Big Game HiVis...........0.011.....0.0135

Vanish Fluorocarbon..............0.011.....0.011
Stren xtra strong.................0.013....0.012
Izorline xxx Hi Vis copolymer...none listed....0.012
Stren Magnathin .................0.010.....0.010
Yozuri hybrid clear................0.012.....0.012

Discussion

The author fully expects some controversy surrounding the results of testing. Especially since a brand with a cultish following did not stand out from the crowd. What readers should consider before reading any further is this; line strength is not the only important characteristic of a quality fishing line.

Also the author recognizes the limitations of such small sample sizes. A larger run of sample testing was not practical since no previous foundational experience existed.

Another limitation that came into consideration after testing started, was whether different batches of line of the same type and brand, would give different results.

Despite the limitations of this first run of data collection, some valuable insights were gained. One was the immediate superiority of the Palomar knot over the double clinch knot, and the Trilene knot. Although not listed above, data was collected regarding whether lines failed at midpoint or at knot, with the Palomar knot midpoint breaks consisting of about 85% of the samples. Using the other two knots, line failure occurred primarily at the point of the knot.

Another valuable insight was how significant the loss of strength was in line that had been strained to failure. In consideration of the fact that anglers frequently pull to near failure, 20-30 feet of mainline while trying to free snagged terminal gear, the need to trim off weakened line needs to be considered, regardless of whether the line feels abraided.

During testing it became apparent that the elastic characteristics of lines probably plays an important role in whether fish are able to force line failure. Stretch probably favors the lighter diameter lines, and serves the same function as a long, slow action, fishing rod. Low stretch lines also have their particular applications, such as deep jigging, or trolling.

And finally, as evidenced by the fact that there was such a wide variance among lines which were all marketed as "10 pound test", it was not surprising that some lines were as much as 19% thicker than the stated diameter. Maxima lines, although comparing well if one looked only at avg breaking strength, dropped down in the ratings because the actual measured diameters ran 0.014 rather than the 0.012 which was listed. If one were to look for other brands at the diameter of 0.014, we'd be testing 12 or 14 pound lines.

CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS

Sample sizes may be too small to draw firm conclusions as to relative strength, however some lines stood out with their consistent above average performance. Experienced anglers may find that in order to maximize performance, they may need to familiarize themselves with several lines. No single brand and model of line will outperform in all applications. More novice anglers may find this information useful as a starting point in choosing a quality fishing line.

The author considers the performance of these lines to be superior at least in the characteristic of line strength and the ability to keep that strength after a big fish, or big snag has given it a good stretching.

P Line Xtra....................1.23........................1.22......98%
Stren xtra.....................1.17........................1.06......90%
Sufix Elite.....................1.12........................0.94......84%
P Line Floroclear..............1.05.......................1.04.......99%

If your interested in seeing these lines more rigoursly tested using a fixed pulley, and scale, and also testing of different lines not sampled here, please send 60 foot line samples (or filler spools) to:

Vince Hawkins
7411 Fairview RD SW #23
Olympia, WA 98512

Please include brand and model, date of purchase.

Hope you all found something useful.

VHawk

Edited by VHawk (03/04/07 09:00 AM)

#336483 - 03/01/07 10:24 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* [Re: VHawk.]
Hog Daddy Offline
Parr

Post deleted by Big_Daddy

Edited by Big_Daddy (03/01/07 10:57 PM)

#336485 - 03/01/07 10:34 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* [Re: Hog Daddy]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Post deleted by VHawk

#336490 - 03/01/07 10:45 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis *DELETED* [Re: VHawk.]
Hog Daddy Offline
Parr

Post deleted by Big_Daddy

#336492 - 03/01/07 10:49 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: VHawk.]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
I'll second that.....He is driving me nuts

#336496 - 03/01/07 10:52 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: cowlitzkiller]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
Vhawk ...this guy dont know sH--T , i know how long that had to take and feel the info is very informitive and think it will help alot of guys decide on a new product my self included.. thanks

#336497 - 03/01/07 10:52 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: VHawk.]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Good job VHawk! Your research is some what comparable to the findings in the magazine test. The magazine included a bit more detail, but your results are comparable. I see both P-line and Stren at the top. The abasion test showed Stren out performing the field. As soon as I find the magazine article I will share the results I mention.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#336498 - 03/01/07 10:54 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: VHawk.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

As a Maxima Chameleon user for over 30 years, I can see I need to do 2 things. Learn the Palomar knot. Try some of the brands that did better in your tests.

#336499 - 03/01/07 10:55 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: John Lee Hookum]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks CW and JL Hookum.

If you or anybody can find some other test results I'd like to see them. I can usually google stuff like that up, but could find anything this time around.

I should have added in the report, that if your not having trouble breaking off fish, I'd recommend not making any major changes regardless of brand. I would recommend trying out the Sufix Elite on your spinning reels though. At least that's my own plan, its a very soft, limp line which is impressive considering its strength.

My favorite line only did so-so. It did do well on retained strength, which is important to me since I pitch right into logjams all the time. Retained strength is also important to squirrel hunters. If your yanking on your line all day, you'll want something that'll still have some strength when that last huge squirrel bites.

VHawk

Edited by VHawk (03/01/07 11:02 PM)

#336500 - 03/01/07 10:55 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: cowlitzkiller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Parker, Jerry, BOB...please do something to rid us of this [petunias]...please.

VInce: AWESOME effort, and I am sure that is worthy of publication...somewhere! I for one appreciate the scientific approach and methodology used in the testing, as it lends great credibility to the resulting data.

Superb!

Mike

#336503 - 03/01/07 11:03 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Vince,
Nice job. You confirmed one thing that I found out already out on the water, Berkley Vanish is crap. One trip and that stuff ended up in the trash.
Thanks for sharing,
Brian

Edited by stonedfish (03/01/07 11:03 PM)

#336504 - 03/01/07 11:05 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: stonefish]
nookie dreamin' Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everwet
Outstanding! Now I know what NOT to buy! Good work Vhawk.
How long did it it take for all that work?

#336507 - 03/01/07 11:13 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: ]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
I'll second jake's comment, and add that PLine Flourclear is the shiat in low clear/summertime water, i filled up my float rod with it this summer and was beyond impressed with its performance

#336508 - 03/01/07 11:13 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: ]
Stalmass Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Selah, WA
Vhawk, great stuff and thanks. I knew there was a reason I have been very fond of Pline Xtr. I am a little suprised that the Yozuri didn't come out higher on the list. I use it a lot as well and have had nothing but good results. Thanks again for this info.

#336509 - 03/01/07 11:14 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: nookie dreamin']
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Including driving around town picking up samples, recording results, doing the math and doing the write up, it probably took me 12 hours.

Next round will probably take 20 hours, spread out over a month. I'd like to take at least 10 runs per sample, not including the 10 runs on the broken pieces. Each line I want to test would be a minimum of 30 knots than. Thats about 600 knots tied, in order to test 20 different lines. I'm thinking the testing will include at least 25 different lines.

The second test would be worthy of submitting to one of the fishing rags.

Edited by VHawk (03/01/07 11:15 PM)

#336513 - 03/01/07 11:40 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: VHawk.]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Very interesting. I haven't tried a new line in quite some time, might pick up a spool of that P line. A line I would like to see tested is Ironsilk. My experience with it was that it failed miserably in fatigued strength area. Maybe I will send you a sample.

Gotta hand it to Hog Daddy, He's the first person I've seen return here after being banned! Ain't that special.......

#336514 - 03/01/07 11:42 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: VHawk.]
nookie dreamin' Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everwet
We,(and I think i can speak for all of us on this board) would like to inform you that you, in light of your exhaustive studies regarding line strength, resistance to abrasion, and flexibility, do hereby nominate you for the first ever "NOBEL FISH PRIZE"! Now take some time to go fishing!

Edited by nookie dreamin' (03/01/07 11:43 PM)

#336517 - 03/01/07 11:58 PM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: nookie dreamin']
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
vince- You have way too much time on your hands, but that said, its a pretty sweet report.:)
Nice work!

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#336520 - 03/02/07 12:15 AM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: VHawk.]
ClearCreek Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mtn. west
Vhawk:
I, too, appreciate your time and effort. Many thanks!!

Are you going to come up with a list of lines you would like to test the next time? This may help you get samples.

Thanks again,

ClearCreek

#336522 - 03/02/07 12:21 AM Re: Completed Line tests, Results and Analysis [Re: nookie dreamin']
Starfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Richland, WA
Vince, you rock. That's one of the coolest series of posts I've seen on an internet site and your efforts and thought are appreciated.

Have you thought about how to objectively test abrasion resistance? I've used about a third of those lines (and will definitely try a few more now that I see the results) and have come to some personal conclusions about which lines hold up best under field conditions. IMHO the abrasion resistance becomes pretty important if you're doing a lot of salmon fishing over the course of several weeks with the same gear - especially if using a downrigger.

I really am impressed with the results on fatigued line. That's great information.

My last observation is a nit... it was pretty easy to figure out that all of the lines you tested were 10 lb test rated, and I believe I recall you stating that earlier but can't find it in the writeup. Probably it's right in front of my nose but it might not hurt to include it in the table of results. One thing I've experienced is that some brands excel at certain pound test ratings. The same brand might be a really lousy performer at other ratings. I know it's a lot of extra work but someday I'd sure love to see some tests of 12, 20 or 25 lb stuff... I'll start saving samples in case you decide to branch out.

And of course if you ever decide to test some braids... another whole bunch of cool data!

Thanks again for doing this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |