I have found the long leader t owork well on the Cowlitz and other rivers. A simple test in low clear water will show you that it can play a very important part in hooking fish that are a little spooky. such as a steelie in a small creek. I have seen salmon and steelhead swim around my gear many times when it came to them. but when a LONG leader was used they would stick around untill it hit them and then they would spook. I did this from a bridge on a small river last fall with some steelies that would not bite. they never did but my point is long leaders are not always snaging gear. they have a purpose. I have a book on noddle roding and it tells how important LONG leaders are.
I did very well at Barrier this year with a long leader and a single tiny corkie. sometimes in the egg loop on a small hook and other times above the hook with a few fine threads of yarn above it just to keap it from floating up the line. the egg loop worked best. but I was useing small hooks to try and keap from snaging.

if long leaders work for you then more power. I normally start with about 18" and work my way out to maybe 6'

dcrzfitter