Update

If the Sky ever opens to fishing again, and you happen to float it, you’ll see everything at my old place is gone.

They’ll probably start replanting native trees soon.

20 years ago when I moved there the fishing was great, I never had to leave my front yard to catch steelhead, kings, coho, chums, pinks, the occasional Atlantic salmon and other stuff. The fishing had been better in prior years, but there were still enough in the river that “catching” was the norm. I had lived close and had been fishing the river for 30 years prior to moving there, so I had a good idea of what it could be, a river that had fish in it every month of the year, some months the river was overflowing with them.

The decline since then has been amazing, living on the river I was a witness to the changes on a daily basis. It was hard to imagine that it has declined significantly more even in the short period of time since I moved.

That decline is what made it easier to move, well, that and the increasing traffic plus rain.

I’ve just begun to tap into the fisheries over here, but the opportunities (not a great word, lots of baggage associated with it) are vast, it will take many years to experience each one. And that’s just on Lake Roosevelt and the Spokane river arm that I live on.