Those who have paid attention for decades, especially if you viewed wide areas, shows what we have lost. Or at least misplaced for a while.

Some of our resources are more abundant, lots are less, some are really variable. We humans don't seem to be able to take a long-range look. For those who have been out there, species are changing. Anchovy instead of herring. Where are the amphibians???

Way back in my youth, growing up (some debate this) in CA, I was of the opinion that the state source agency knew all there was to know about the animal resources. I had a question about trout, bears, mice, ducks, etc. there was somebody in CFG who either knew the answer or would find out and get back to me.

Today? I don't know were the expertise lies, but it is not in the Agencies. How can you manage fish, game, trees, etc. if you don't clearly understand the biology and use it as basis?

And, as to this Razor Clams, Tug, Sea Otters love them. Ask Californians what happened to the Pismos when otters moved in.....