Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Originally Posted By: Tug 3
Maybe it is more than a river thing. Many years ago it was reported of some high seas steelhead interception somewhere off the Asian coast. Seems like steelhead were being caught in the squid fishery that was regulated by latitude. Too long ago to remember specifics. If climate change has affected steelhead migratory patterns they could be intercepted as by catch (or targeted?).

Yes. I remember the High Seas Driftnets was a topic of discussion back in the late 90's I think. Have not heard anything since. Wonder if any evidence of interception was ever found? I'm sure their are more nets out there now more than ever compared to then.

I also remember the "high seas netting"....Japanese fishing fleets, nets 25 to 30 MILES in length....steelhead were part of the "by catch"....the years were way before the 90's......mid 70's, time goes by when your having fun.....It was a big deal, Coast Guard, air patrols, way off the Washington coast....it was stopped, at least at that time.

That makes more sense. I remember struggling on the Puyallup in the mid to late 70's for fish. Then it turned around in the 80's, peaking in 84-85. Wonder if patrols had anything to do w/ that?

Edited by RUNnGUN (01/05/20 08:09 AM)