Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Any Steelhead HGMP work being done on any of the remaining PS rivers? If the WDFW won't get off it's ass, why don't the affected Tribes spearhead the HGMP's? It appears some things are in the works on the Puyallup system. The new remodeled Clark's Crk. facility at Maplewood Springs is nearly complete. Will it raise Steelhead for release in the Puyallup? Public boat launch access facilities are planned with one complete already. I have heard rumors of a Tribal hatchery facility planned on South Prairie Crk. or one of the tributaries. Seems like lots of activity setting up for a change, at least on the Puyallup. I'm optimistic!

Despite the ribbon cutting publicity which touted improved fisheries for tribal, NT commercial and recreational fishers the reality -at least in the near term - seems to be that the steelhead will be part of a wild fish recovery program as will the 800K Chinook which will be White River springers with neither of those two stocks available to State anglers. Again, if I have my info correct the 200K coho will be adipose fin clipped and available.

Speaking solely to the WR springers the question for NOAA and WDFW might be exactly what is the target number for natural origin returns which must be achieved before State harvest?

Edit:

Here is a link to a pertinent TNT article: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/community/puyallup-herald/article214979955.html.

And an extracted paragraph:

"Once completed, the project will allow the hatchery to increase its anadromous fish production in the Puyallup River basin by 200,000 steelhead, 300,000 coho and 800,000 spring Chinook salmon, in addition to 50,000 rainbow trout. Currently, the facility’s main focus is the production of rainbow trout."

Edited by Larry B (01/09/20 11:11 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)