Originally Posted By: fish4brains
so, are we still defending and justifying the life of a terrorist because it was Trump that took him out? Asking for a friend...

It's a fair question. Seems clear he was not a "good guy." I'm not sure we're any safer, but in principle, I'm glad that dude is dead.

So far, the attacks in this escalated sabre rattling (on both sides) have been planned and executed to cause as few human casualties as possible. So far, the score is one dead contractor for one dead general.

Trump just made an (almost) honest claim that the US has achieved energy independence. Add that to our newfound "safety" in the wake of Soulemani's assassination, and you've got a weak, but somewhat plausible argument that it's time to pull our troops out of Iraq. Didn't someone make a campaign promise about something like that? Doesn't that same someone have a re-election campaign running at the moment?

If you throw out the concern that Putin will simply move in where we vacate (which is real and significant), I'm all for pulling out of the Middle East. It's a really complicated mess, though, and I doubt anyone here will live to see the end of our presence there.

Anyone else think this is all part of a plan?