Originally Posted By: Carcassman
When you are asking somebody to come to the table, there has to be something in it for them. What does the NI (rec) side offer to the Tribes in exchange for "open" meetings? They gonna get more fish? What would they get that they don't have already?

Valid point. Let’s see...

The tribes have all the cards.
They not only don't want open meetings, doing so would appear weak. They have absolutely no pressure at all to do anything they don't want to.
They have a federal right to fish.
They have us dependent on them to get permits from NOAA
They have the money.
They have the politics and
they have the public relations.

Your right...I can’t think of a single thing more to put on the table to give up .....ummmmm....since they already have the Skokomish, maybe we can offer them the Chehalis.

I suppose we CAN continue the policy of “appease” and wait. Dunno. I guess it all depends on how much more you guys are willing to give up.

Or maybe, just maybe the Tribes aren’t the monsters in the dark after all, and they might see that we really all do need to work together to save our salmon. I guess time will tell. At this point...we don’t have much left to give up, but the longer the tribes take to build trust and cooperation the more we all lose.