Thanks guys.

This is the kind of information that I was looking for. I was trying to explain to my friend why his thoughts on "just plant more fish" were not sound from a biological perspective. He has many friends at hatcheries and told me they were pissed because they "wanted to plant a bunch more fish" and "the state wouldn't let them".

Given current management of our fisheries and the problems getting tribes to cooperate and issues with ESA listed fish, I don't see a good path forward for Puget Sound rivers. Especially where steelhead are concerned. You can't plant fish if you don't have enough returning fish to supply eggs. Seems like the Chambers origins are done and the PS rivers can't support its hatchery needs with returning adults.

We're kinda F'd.

I'd say the future looks bleak. More people being shoved out of the PS rivers to our SW rivers and OP rivers. Then you get a shut down based on this shuffle of pressure. ie; the Willapa shutdown.

This may be the new norm.

I will concentrate on the rivers available to me and local lakes for now. I have a lower expectation for success on any given trip. My 50 years on the water has seen a drop in quality of experience that is truly depressing.

Thanks again for the discussion

kg

Edited by kalamageo (03/06/20 11:06 AM)