[quote=DrifterWA]
I'm sure its a "good read".......Living in Grays Harbor for 54 years, I watched in real time the dismise of wild steelhead in the Region.

Hoh, Queets, Quinualt, Humptulips, Wishkah, Wynoochee, Satsop were rivers that I caught wild steelhead on. My largest was 26# 11 oz., weighted at the river by a biologist, early 80's, Spring vacation but no camera......grrrr

Caught a 23+ pound on the Satsop....never placed in the SH Derby......

Lot's of things added to the decline of wild steelhead......better equipment, more boats(drift and jet), increase in number of guides, tribal nets, habitat, and just more people fishing.

Better equipment is not one of the reasons for this region-wide decline.

Habitat loss,(which includes many things but definitely logging and climate change), using non-native broodstock for mitigation, horrific co-management in terms of harvest accountability, crafting seasons when pre-run forecasts made it clear reaching the e goals wasn’t possible, allowing pretty much anyone to become a “guide”, weak and totally ineffective “enforcement” of regulations.

Those of you who think the rivers and streams of the Olympic Peninsula still have habitat that resembles what it was 200 years ago are delusional and completely clueless. You need to wake up and smell the coffee.