One log loads came mostly from the OP and were not exported and usually were for show in the last 70 years or so. With the exception of cedar which ended in the 80's. The exported timber was 2nd growth and if you know the history was in the range of 60 to 80 years old, sometimes older as large trees not marketable where left standing. ( large by our standards today ) Simply the original harvest was near the bay with skid rows and worked up streams by using splash dams. When locomotives were designed to pull steep grades then the logging moved inland with companies like Schafer Bros ( Satsop valley ) which Weyco and Simpson bought out as the Schafer family did not see a future in second growth. Polson North coast and it is now RTOG holdings. Weyco local tree farm was named Clemons after the timber company that had a mainline ending at Melbourne on the river and near what is known as circle city above Oakville. If you go back in the Black Hills there is a place called Fuzz Top that is true old growth simply because geography made it not cost effective to log.

So the second growth logging simply back tracked and followed the original harvest matrix. The difference is that old logging was a slow labor intensive process and required a market for a finished ( milled ) product. Most do not know that way back early last century Grays Harbor was a ship building port. In fact after the great San Fran earthquake most of the timber to rebuild came from Grays Harbor along with the first export of raw logs in giant rafts and one raft would feed a CA mill for one year.

I worked in the woods for 38 years and unless I went to Olympic Park was never and I mean never in a FOREST. Rather I worked on tree farms which are large scale, long term, mechanized agriculture. The greatest damage to streams came after the Columbus Day storm with hundreds of thousands of acres blown down and Japan became a market for salvaged raw logs which killed the local saw mills, massively increased the acres harvested each year leading to much of the environmental damage being discussed. At that time regulators required at times loggers remove woody debris from streams and another agency did not want those nasty salmon carcasses polluting the streams.

My Grandmother came from Texas in the late 1880's by clipper ship from San Fran and up the Chehalis on a paddle wheeler to Fullers Ferry. ( Fuller Hill now ) The Hale family is buried at the Vance Cr Cemetery and had a truck farm and even won a blue ribbon at the Klondike Expo ( now U of W ) for growing vegetables. My father was born in a logging camp in the Vesta and I have a picture of Granny standing on a locomotive as she worked in a logging camp. Timber good bad or indifferent is was what built Grays Harbor but then this ...... the bloody fish survived and prospered be more than a little of a rocky road.

This problem we face with fish came about in the last 40 years with the huge population growth, the growth in mechanized marine harvest, the export of raw logs. Call it a tipping point if you will.

Edited by Rivrguy (06/21/20 04:16 PM)