Question in a e mail was why is a tree farm different from old time logging in a forest. Well tree farms in the PNW are generally on 40 year rotations or from planting to harvest 40 yrs. They are generally single species, generally Douglas Fir and for trees intensely managed. From old growth to second growth harvest ended up being between seventy to a hundred years so the ground and streams recovered. In this day and age there is constant activity such as harvest, thinning, and salvage so the land ( and streams ) does not just set or if you choose, recover. The way to anticipate stream impacts in the tree farms is simply look at the tree age as over 40 years it is likely to be harvested. When I retired the trees I planted in 1971 were being logged again.

Also different companies use different strategies for harvest. One I know of harvest so many acres a year regardless of volume. Another is by volume and if the volume of acres is below expectations then they log more acres.

Now the national forest are something else. When Gifford Pinchot set up harvest in the PNW federal lands it was supposed to be until the private timber lands regenerated and produced trees for harvest. What was not envisioned was that the Forest Service would operate like a corporation and the trees continuously harvested in the manner a tree farm does. Money talks in all ways in this world.

Edited by Rivrguy (06/22/20 04:02 PM)