Several friends of mine have repeatability asked me to post the issue about "guides" fishing for their clients. More directly, should a fishing guide be allowed to fish for another person when he/she is also fishing? The question has been repeatability asked; what difference is there between a hunting guide shooting your game for you and then handing you the gun and a fishing guide hooking you a fish and handing you the rod? I know that this will be a "hot" issue to talk about because a lot of guides read and post on this BB. After 11 years of guiding, "I've been there, and done that", so I too would like to hear your opinions on this topic!

I am bringing this issue up now because several people have come to me and told me that they are seriously considering developing a petition, especially on the Cowlitz, which would limit how a fishing guide can assist their clients in the catching of their limits. To what degree do you think a fishing guide should be allowed to personally participate in the act of filling out of another person's fish limits? Do you believe that they should only "guide" and not personally fish for their client's limit? Does paying a "fee" to a guide give you the right to have 2 rods fishing for you when everybody else can only fish with one?

Many states already do not allow a fishing guide to fish for their clients. Would you rather have your fishing guide "teach" you the river or water and the tricks that it takes to catch fish there, or would you rather have him give you that "extra" advantage of having another fishing rod fishing for you or your bodies? Would you personally want to take a fish that was hooked by a guide, or would you want him to land his own fish?

I know that this can get to be a real heated topic, but what better place is there then this BB to fully discuss this issue?

If such a rule was to take effect, should it apply only to certain rivers or should it apply to all rivers and streams in Washington? There's been much talk of limiting the days when "guides" can fish with clients on certain rivers or streams. What are you feeling or opinion about that one? Remember, I am only the messenger…not the promoter!

Cowlitzfisherman,

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????
confused

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: cowlitzfisherman ]

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????