Man, I was really hoping this thread was going to take off. There seems to be no reliable (?) source for information on drifts. At least none that I have been able to find.

There seem to be only two ways to get information about specific drifts. Cough up the dough and go with a guide or get over the fear, drop it in and go for it.

I am taking precations for the later such as painting CALL 911 on the bottom of the boat. I have also applied this side up stickers. Got my whistle, horn and radio. Also carrying some emergency gear for starting a fire, if (when) we get dumped. (Sounds like an idea for another thread - what emergency gear do you carry in a driftboat)

The most exciting (scariest!) piece of water I have ever drifted is the Sol Duc from the Hatchery to Whitcomb - Dimmel. 4 1/2 boards. Lots of rapids, which proved to be passible even in an 18' Eastside. We did get hung up but good in one spot. The river breaks into 3. We went left. Big VW Boulders in which we got hung up but good. It got late (dark) before we off the River. I can't wait to try that again!

Oxbow on the Hoh looks like fun. I have heard there is even more exciting stuff "up in the Canyon"

See you out there!

GutZ