Oh come on Sparkey, it'll be alright. Plus, all I said was that there's a difference, one's a pontoon boat and the other is a cataraft. Each has their bennies. Now, a cataraft is a kick butt machine and a pontoon boat smells like a butt laugh ROFL. Just kidding. But they both have their places. I have told people to actually buy a pontoon boat. Only because it's not warranted to spend the type of money for a cataraft when you don't need it. Like buying a Ferrari for a chase vehicle when you can EASILY get by with a moped (but hey, would cut the commute from Oxbow to Minnie down to about 2 minutes smile ). I ran my Outcast on solid class 3's, borderline class 4's. Can it be done, yes. Is it advised, ummm nope. Plus, like you said Ryan, it all depends on your oarsmanship. The oxbow is a piece of cake for someone experienced, a bit technical for someone new.

Now, he wants a boat you can stand up and fish from. So Outcasts are out of the picture (except the 12' and that's only for the front passenger). You have the money to spend, go with something good. I'd say, and Osprey can give you an exact figure, somewhere in the $2500-$3500 range, all depending on what you put on it and how intriquet you make your frame. Can be more and less. It really depends on oars you want, type of frame design (multi piece or single). Options.

The Steelheader is an awesome boat if you want a premade fishing boat. But if you want to customize and get exactly what you want, have one built.

Northwest River Fisherman