I believe hatcheries are a necessary component for sustainable fish populations,(I didn't say sustainable harvest!) simply as a result of the increased demand for the resource by all user groups.

There is no-way, a wild fish, ONLY, population could continue to exist in any river, unless ALL user groups were denied access to them, and ALL up-river spawning access barriers(dams)were removed.
And when you reduce user access in one place you increase demand on another.

How would a 7 day season on five rivers, with a season limit of 1, in the whole state be?, you could catch a fish but would it be worth it? Talk about economic disaster!

Speaking of "Clones" how much more alike do we need to make hatchery fish,anyway? seems like you hear the term "Typical Hatchery Brat" quite alot already.

What would the Sol Duc be without it's unique strain of hatchery raised fish?

The movement toward raising hatchery stock from fish within the same river system, is a very positive change.

I would like to see that become the SOP whenever possible, then hatchery fish spawning with non-hatchery fish would make very little, if any, difference.

When flooding or other natural, even man made disasters reduce naturally spawned eggs or smolt survival numbers, it is hatchery stock that can then compensate and keep a rivers fish populations from total decline.

Yes there are changes needed in the way we operate our hatcheries, but operate them we must!

cool