salmo,

most probally won't like my answer, but here it goes. first, i think the damage to salmon species in general should have been, and could have been prevented years ago. you say you are worried about someone catching fry in a river that has been depleted of most of its natural cover for fish, not to speak of the chemicals that go down the river to keep peoples lawns green! natives are great, and i'm all for them(including salmon) but, i'm realistic, and believe natives one day will be a thing of the past. (just my opinion)

Hatcheries i do believe will be the future of fishing like it , or not.(i don't) I once had a conversation with a fish bioligist, and told him i thought it was better to have people fishing for hatchery fish than no fish at all, don't you? if there was a hachery on the cedar would there be a trout summer season? i think there would, there is on the green, and there is no natives in the green?or fry? why isn't the green shut down to summer trout fishing? most of what i catch in the green in the summer ARE steelhead fry, of course i release all but a few unharmed. it to me comes down to $$$$$$$$$$ for a hatchery, i think no hatcheries on rivers like the cedar is bad business, and a pipe dream for those that think the damage to the river is will be fixed with JUST time. urban rivers need hatcheries, my opinion.

chumster