3 fisherman in one of our coastal ports were dockside taking pics, proudly, of their limit of halibut this June. They were doing this near by my boat while I was cleaning it and I noticed that the two smaller fish weren't halibut at all. They were saying comments like "fish and chips" and "eating well." I did not want to break the news to them and seem like a know-it-all, but those were arrowtooth flounder. I think I'd rather sample the spiny dogfish than those little slimy buggers. The fish checker came over and measured out the hali for the quota and not the others. It was say 20-25lbs. "Why aren't you gonna measure the other two," they said. She broke the news. Then they came and ask me my opinion of those flounders. I thought that was funny.
Strange was the Gilnetter on the Hoh who was clubbing the live pinks removed from his net and chucking 'em back in. I don't keep 'em from the salt or the fresh myself, but mine swim away live. A Forks-area guide also witnessed this while with clients and was taking digital pics. I forget who. I guess you could call it sad too.
Sad is the draggers offshore. If you've never seen bycatch from ours, or any waters, I'll spare you the details.