Like has been said...wait till the rod is LOADED UP before you take it from the rod holder. So many times I have seen steelhead do a "Drive by" and just take a whack at the plug...the rod dips, but does not bury as the fish never turned with the plug in his mouth. If he doesn't hook up, the fish may turn and run down the slot a ways and you will get another shot at him...but if you grab the rod out, yank a hook-set and start reeling before the fish is on, the fish most likely is history.

So long as that rod isn't buried, the fish hasn't turned with it, and "setting the hook" is likely to yank that hook/plug straight out of this mouth as he is still looking at the boat.

Once he turns the rod will bury. Grab the rod from the holder and since I use Power Pro one short little yank (not too hard as PP doesn't stretch) sets the hook.

Another thing I try to do is, once I see that rod start to react at all, I give a couple strong pulls with the oars to help set the hook. People often ask why I have a small bit of chartruse yarn tied just below the first eye (not tip) of my plug rods. That is so I can see not only the action of the plugs, but also it's a major flag once a fish whacks the plug. Unless they are looking right at it, the front seaters may not catch the initial strike on the plug.

I think most times, in all the confusion and excitement, that folks forget to even set the dang hook as once that rod comes out of the holder the fight is on!

Mike