Quote:
Originally posted by Hoh Humm:
I set the hook with the oars most of the time.
A good move. I was wondering when somebody would mention this.

It is a natural reflex for me anymore to try to help with the hookset by pulling back on the oars. BUT, it may not be enough in itself. I still find the key to be the SMOOTH removal of the rod UNDER TENSION followed a solid hookset (not a jerk) AFTER the fish is locked tight and under control. This can be easier said than done since the hit usually comes when everyone is least expecting it and before you know it it's a proverbial Chinese Fire Drill. Since the rower is usually paying more attention, he can help by not only rowing back on the fish and getting out of current but he can also assist by remaining calm and speaking in sweet dulcet tones to subdue the Keystone cops up front. You know the drill. In fact, I will often make a point to calmly dialouge with those up front in order to keep them engaged and prepared to respond more efficiently before a takedown occurs. I find that teamwork definately results in fewer lost fish when plugging.

However, I also fish alot in a boat by myself and knowing when and how to go to the rod can be exasperating at times. Regardless of the strong urge to set the hook first, I have learned (the hard way) that it is better to get your situation and boat under control before going to the rod. Yes, I lose fish this way but I have not only lost fish in the other scenario, but I have also lost rods, anchors and nearly the boat. Some places are tougher than others but trying to control a boat and a fish at the same time when plugging by yourself is always interesting and at times down right dangerous. You know like trying to milk out that last couple of centimeters of the tailout at the Ice Box Hole.

Be careful out there.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”