Pete's drift on the Bogey, New Years day 2003. I had put in at least a dozen trips over the two seasons before with no success. At that point in time, the mythical reputation that the steelies seem to have was clear and present. I hadn't had so much as a take down, a nibble, or a good look as near as I could tell. Looking back now I wonder how many fish and opportunities I missed on those trips.

I got up at first light while the rest of the cabin was sleeping off hangovers and snuck down to the river. Temps were well below freezing and mist covered the river as the sun crept towards the horizon. A morning that will forever be burned into my mind even though I have seen many like it since. It was maybe an hour before I hooked up. Just a 6-7lb brat, but it might as well have been the state record for how happy I was to have finally connected. Out of half a dozen folks fishing that day, I was the only one that brought meat home and feeding the crew over a camp fire that night was the perfect end to what was at that point, perhaps still, my best morning of fishing ever. Got it on a drift rig. One pink corky, one white, white yarn with sandshrimp.

Of course it was another year before I caught another, and only this past year do I feel like I am starting to consistently find fish. In a lot of ways it seems like there are two types of steelheaders, those that have seen the light and ones that haven't. Thinking of all of the oddball places I fished and gear I threw back then makes me chuckle. At the time I didn't think I was doing anything different than the guy down the line pulling out chromers. As some of these posts have shown, nearly anyone can luck into a beauty if they happen across the right spot at the right time.

Knowing where to look and what to use is a skill that only comes with hours and days on the river and/or in the presence of those that have seen the light.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."