From the WDFW website:

Action: A portion of the North Fork Nooksack River will be closed to fishing.

Effective dates: Dec. 1, 2009 until further notice.

Species affected: All gamefish.

Location: The North Fork Nooksack River from the yellow post located at the upstream most corner of the hatchery grounds, approximately 1,000 feet upstream of the mouth of Kendall Creek, downstream to the Mosquito Lake Road Bridge.

Reasons for action: The Kendall Creek Hatchery in recent years has been unable to secure sufficient eggs from returning hatchery winter steelhead to meet basin production goals. Closure of the fishery, similar to last year, is needed to collect sufficient fish to meet egg take needs. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, in support of Hatchery Scientific Review Group recommendations, intends to use locally adapted broodstock to support the Nooksack River winter steelhead hatchery program rather than importing eggs from outside sources.

Other information: When broodstock needs are met, the fishery will reopen as listed in the Sport fishing Rules 2009/2010 pamphlet edition, FISHING IN WASHINGTON

I don't understand why they close of part of the river to sport fishing but where the South Fork of the Nooksack meets up with the flows from the North and Middle Fork there were 5 gill nets in a span of 100 yards. I took the time to send an e-mail to the WDFW but have not gotten a response back yet.

I guess it will just end up eventually the Nooksack being closed for sportfishing while the nets drag out every last fish. Frustrates me that tax dollars go to support the hatchery to just have the fish get netted on their return.