Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
The "cushion" the rod will generate is as much dictated by the action of the rod as it is by the length. You could have a flimsy 8 foot rod that provides a lot of cushion or a 15 foot rod that is stiff and provides none. Most people fish longer float rods in order to help mend the floating braid and/or keep the braid off the water entirely.

A 10' or 11' float rod is about right for most people although everyone has their preference. I use a Loomis 1263 and consider it a great float rod.
Seeing as how you want cushion, you're likely to start looking at "noodle rods" (long and super-soft). I'd avoid these rods as they lack the backbone to land fish quickly when/if you need to do so.
Good luck. If you are already breaking off big fish, you're basically doing it all right. Just bump the leader strength up a couple of notches.

What he said. I'd add that the length of the rod is more relative to the distance of the mends than the action on the fish. Bigger water = longer rod. Bigger fish = strong rod with bigger line & leader. A moderate action rod, will help cushion the leader a bit if you want to fish the light stuff, but don't get a real powerful rod, as that will stress the light leader too.