Actually I value all of your thoughts as I have a fair selection now, but as I fish longer (been fishing for 10 years now), I realize there is so much more that I can learn and that is what I value about our posts. What I feel I have clearly heard is that a 9'6" or 9' rod would be a good choice. I presently have a nice Certified Pro that is 9', but has a 15-30 line weight rating. It is a great rod and I actually caught a nice steelhead with it but not the best for steelhead. I also have a few 8'6" rods with one of them being a St. Croix and then I do have one baitcaster that is also 8'6" and it is a Shimano Clarus. I like them all, but I really have found that I am liking the longer rod for the fight with the fish once it is hooked. So all of your posts confirmed that a little longer rod is really what I am looking for. I also have a nice Shimano Saros as well as a Pflueger President reel, and a Abu for my baitcaster. I would like to eventually pick up a Shimano Stradic 3000 or something close to that in the future. Any other thoughts are welcome and of course we are all feeling the down economy times, so I am somewhat limited on funds, but I have found that if I am patient and watch all of the listings there are ways to get nice rods and reels without breaking the bank! Hoping all of you are enjoying the fishing and some catching too!