I did not realize how bad the Steelheading had gotten on Hood Canal until I looked in the game pamphlet regarding what is open for steelhead, there isn't anything, from the Quilcence all around to the Dewatto nothing is open after December 15. All the great days I used to have on the Skok, Duck, Hamma Hamma are probably gone forever, even Goldsbough Crk not open. It was a great little stream with good access and lots of fish, both salmon and steelhead. After tearing out the dam and destroying the pretty little canyon it was then closed. The Hamma Hamma you could go up into the canyon and see maybe 50 to 100 steelhead lying in the deep holes, can't help think what a place it would have been for floating jigs in the deep holes and also in the Duckabush and Dosewalips. When I came to Shelton 40 plus years ago and got to know some locals they raved about how good the fishing was for cutthroat and steelhead in the rivers and most of the larger creeks. To see it destroyed in my life time makes me SICK, its too bad the younger fisherman will never experience those kind of days, most of them only know the Skok snag fest, which is a disgrace to real fishing, and yes I do fish there because I like to fish and its close. I know a lot of you only want wild fish in the streams but if they are wiped out what are you going to do, with all the netting in Hood Canal too many seals and hundreds of fish ducks and cormerants I do not see a quick recoverery with out getting some help, even if it does meen planting fish. Working as a surveyor I have seen hundreds of small streams that should be full of spawning fish but have nothing. With nets in the esturerys those fish which are headed for the little creeks will get wiped out. Rivers like the Skok, Duck, Dosewallips and the Hanma Hamma have miles of spawning water going to waste, even if it was catch and release only, I for one just want to be able to fish and with retirement coming up this year, I don't have to wait for the weekends I can pick the prime time, no fish will be safe.
Sorry about the long post but I'm bored, tied my jigs made some floats, sorted fishing gear, feel like going out and fishing for the Koi in the back yard for fun.