Originally Posted By: Jgrizzle
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

I’ll try again
Any thoughts regarding Hood Canal rivers and low population densities and could that be why
supplementation is helping out according to the Hamma Hamma study.

The abstract and study on the redd experiment of Hamma Hamma River.
http://www.stockenhancement.org/pdf/conservation_hatchery_impact_2008.pdf

Is this what your talking about, the one you posted earlier?

Your Hamma Hamma source-

They were using chambers creek brood and unable to tell if they were spawning with the wild ones, yet assumed they were not. In the experiment, the hatchery and wild fish were not distinguished as variables becuase they had "evidence" that the chambers fish would not spawn with the wild ones. It has been 2 years since the program ended and we should soon, if not already, see results (couldn't find any on the www). The conclusion of that experiment appeared to be that they planted more fish and consequently more fish spawned (but they weren't able to tell which redds were from wild/hatchery fish). It's success could not have been observed until all suplimentation was ceased and they could study it's impact on the future wild fish populations. The program ended the same year that article was published ('08) so any statements about it's success within the article would be inconclusive.
Anybody got updates on this program?

Wild brood stock eyed eggs was used from the Hamma Hamma R.for this study. Page 4/11
The Chamber creek stock was used in the Duckabush R. and the redds weren’t counted as part of this study.

The conservation hatchery program for steelhead (i.e., sea-run rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss) evaluated in this study caused an increase in the number of redds in the supplemented Hamma Hamma River compared with the presupplementation period. Three control populations (nonsupplemented) either remained stable or declined over the same period.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them