Originally Posted By: Somethingsmellsf
Originally Posted By: Todd
Fishy, I work on fisheries issues on a daily basis, on all different kinds of issues from habitat (including dams, land use, etc.), harvest, hatchery reform, the structure of fisheries...the whole shebang.

So do I Toddy, we have been down this road before!

With a few exceptions of "getting the word out" when important meetings are happening, or significant comment from all sportsmen is necessary, I don't do it on the InterWebz...nor do I do it for glory, for myself or any organization.

I seek no glory and work behind the scenes as well.

I've been "front man" for lots of stuff in the past, but I didn't find it to be as helpful as I had hoped, in many ways...I spend most of my time in this realm now being a sounding board, helping others define what the issue is that they are really after, what changes they need in order to achieve their goals (the "goals vs. positions" discussion...most useful)...and sharing the information I have that I hope people will find useful, when they ask.

I have as well.

When I think that my personal participation is what needs to happen, then I do it...thankfully I find that that's almost never required, as whomever is asking for it can handle it just fine on their own, they just needed to know that.

Ditto.

For all the "gigantic" issues batted about all over the message boards, the infighting, arguing about this type of hatchery fish or that type of hatchery fish, this net or that net, catch and release versus kill some, or kill 'em all...a lot of folks seem to think these are the issues that are driving reform and activism...and they're incorrect.

Like your arguing to save wild steelies while pursuing them for the grip and grin.

This stuff is mainly just "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic", to borrow a phrase. Yeah, it feels good, and it even looks like things are getting done (whether or not they're things that actually do anything useful).

The "big stuff" is happening all around us, just not on the InterWebz...and most of the actual players, the actual decision makers, the generators of the science, politics, and laws...well, they're not here.

Which is why I am not here very much and don't live on this BB or others pronouncing how great I am, like boater or his Ilk.

I think they like it that the cast of thousands who are up in arms about this or that, all the time, are busy rearranging the deck chairs...keeps them out of the way while the other stuff is happening.

Two thoughts:

1. Anyone who ever tells you that you "have to" join this group or that group, because they're the only ones who can save the world, is a goddammed idiot...period. They clearly don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Like you promoting the WSC!

2. Reviewing the concepts surrounding having goals, and having positions, is the number one...by far, very far...best thing that any person or group should spend some time doing. Having goals is necessary, and taking positions is how things change...not having a clear connection between the two is unfortunate, and far more likely to be the case than otherwise. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

I guess all of us Neanderthals should just get out of the way and let you handle things, like you have for years. Which is why we have no problems here what so ever.
You should start your own backslapper, genius-boy boater-less club and solve all the problems your self, oh wait you have with all of your many years of service.

Another over-worded, pontification from the great impersonator!

Fish on...

Todd

Fishy out, since you have the problem solved!

Just admit you are wrong and you know going in the direction of seine nets will give away sporties fish.

Keith