I was at Cape Canaveral working on commissioning the Launch Pad for the Delta IV Rocket program. A co-worker and I were in the basement of the Support Equipment Building looking at some air handler's and ducting. We were coming up to the first floor for a 9:00 break, when we got to the door we found contractors running about willy-nilly. Finally Charlie, my co-worker, grabbed one of the guys by the arm as he was running by and asked him WTF is going on?

The guy told us about the WTC, and said that the Treasury building and Capital Hill had been hit too. Then he said that KSC and CCAFS were targeted as well, and that's why they were getting out of there. Charlie and I just looked at each other, and then I said Why? this building is probably safer than any place else. (This building used to have the fixed umbilical tower mounted to it, and sit below Saturn 1B rockets during the 60's)

Charlie and i went down to the blockhouse where all of our fellow employees were gathered where we watched the towers fall and the rest of the day unfold. As a security precaution the KSC/CCAFS Police raised all drawbridges to foil anyone from entering the base. We didn't get home until late evening as a result.

Edited by MartyMoose (09/09/11 02:18 PM)
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."