I was serving as chief of staff for Montana's lone Congressman in Washington, D.C. Our office was in the Cannon House Office Building, across the street from the Capitol. I always kept the news running on a small TV in the background of my office, and was stunned when I saw the first footage. I walked into the Congressman's office, where he was meeting with constituents from Montana, interrupting the meeting and told him that America was under attack and he needed to turn on his TV. Shortly after that, we were ordered to evacuate the buildings, including the Capitol, since it appeared there was a plane on a flight path towards the Capitol (Flight 93). During the evacuation, the members of Congress were taken to a safe location, and it was up to me to see to the safety of our staff. I gathered everyone together and then told them to go home, and get off the Hill (target). In the meantime, the Pentagon was hit. We couldn't hear the explosion, but we could see the smoke. About this time, F-16's from Andrews were going supersonic over Foggy Bottom (State Department) and we thought at first there was an explosion at State. After things started to stabilize, I was able to get back in the Cannon building and started dealing with phone calls from the Montana press corps.

The first person I called was my wife, in Montana, who was teaching one of her math or chemistry classes. I told her that I was alright, but she needed to turn on the TV in her class room. She said her classes spent the entire day glued to the TV. After I got back into my office, I called my parents in Port Townsend, to let them know I was OK.

Several days later I was on the first flight out of D.C., back to Montana, from Dulles. Reagan National was still closed, so I had to make the trip from Dulles. I got on the plane with about 4-5 mid-Eastern looking gentlemen and I have to tell you, I got a large knot in my stomach when I saw them.

After flying 100,000 miles a year for several years between Montana and D.C., I started thinking about what was really important to me. I came home to Montana permanently at the end of the year, and still think it was the best decision for me. With what rare flights I take now, I can't imagine living that lifestyle again.

God Bless America.