Originally Posted By: fp

That was on the Kenai. Saw the guy 2 days in a row as I went downstream from my fish camp. A lot of watchers from the bank as he had it brought up to the waters right next to Centennial boat launch area. TV cameras and all got to watch the loosing of it. From some witness's there it doesn't sound like it was as big as everybody was hoping.

fp

Fred's got it right.... well, at least I can verify that his version actually happened. I once had a copy of the footage on VHS, but I think one of my kids or my ex- recorded an episode of Barney or Tele-Bubbies over it.

The date in question was July 12, 1989
The angler was Minnesota tourist Bob Ploeger.
The Kenai River guide was Dan Bishop.
The battle took 37 hours before the fish earned its freedom.
The battle was rather pitiful.... there was almost no load in the rod thru most of the battle. While Ploeger was being interviewed mid-fight, the rod tip was only bent half way to the ferrule at mid-shaft.... about what an 8-10 oz cannonball would accomplish.

The netshot was an absolute cluster... two nets converged to corral the fish from above and below. At the fateful moment of the double scoop, one net hit the leader and .... PING!

Game over after 37 hours!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!