Salmo--- I'm one of the guys that likes hunting almost as much as life itself but I also like Wolves and the idea of a balanced ecosystem. It seems that the problem with wolves is such an emotional one, on both sides. The wolf haters want them extirpated (again) and the wolf huggers don't want any measures to keep them in check. There is a balance somewhere in between. I read a couple of studies a year or so ago that countered what the OP study said but I don't remember where I saw it.

When looking back at old pics of YNP and comparing them to today one can see the affects of modern wildland firefighting policies and "sierra club" mentality. YNP is overburdened with older trees and almost sterile forests in places. There is no question about the importance of Aspen and Willow in a healthy forest but letting trees "do what they do" includes allowing them to burn without human interferrence. Forests need to regenerate (as you well know) but it seems everyone has an agenda that interfers with nature.

In any case I have a great respect for predators as long as there are responsible methods employed to keep the balance right. I'll be doing a fly out Bear hunt into the Kenais this late August and along with my bear tag I'll have a Wolf tag. I actually would prefer harvesting a Wolf over a Bear but just being in the wild places were they roam always thrills me.

Since I don't eat Aspen trees but love Elk steaks I'd prefer maintaning the balance in favor of Elk, but as you can see I'm biased.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.