Teen shot and killed in Far Rockaway, Queens by two masked men armed with AK-47, pistol

A Queens mom who hoped to see her teen son become a marine biologist instead saw him Saturday in the morgue.

Xavier Granville, 17, was gunned down by a pair of ski-masked gunmen — one toting an AK-47 assault rifle — after a late-night party in Far Rockaway, police sources said.

“My son didn’t deserve to go out like this,” said a distraught Shakira Granville after identifying the body of her only child. “The pain I feel. I’m just in shock.”

Xavier was a cheerful teen who loved video games and the ocean — with plans to become a marine biologist, according to his mom.

One witness said he thought the fatal shooting of the high school junior was a case of mistaken identity. “I don’t think those bullets were intended for him,” said the witness, who declined to give his name. “Everyone loved Xavier.”

The two gunmen opened fire around 12:30 a.m. as Granville was headed for home, according to the witness. The second shooter was armed with a .45-caliber pistol, and the two masked men began spraying gunfire on Beach 15th St. near Heyson Road.

While the motive for the slaying remained a mystery, a police source indicated that Granville had possible gang ties. He died from a bullet to the head.

jkemp@nydailynews.com