I dissed bad C&R fishermen, I also dissed spawning bed rapers who hide under the term C&R. I also supported a guide who did nothing unethical.
Of course 50% is not a accurate figure. To say catch and release has no impact on our fishery is wrong. I have seen some absolutely ridiculous fish handling practices and was using that as a comparison to a ethical plunker...not the plunker

1. Handling fish with no glove. You ever handle a fish with no glove....turns into a circus unless the fish is nearly dead or soon to be. Fish can survive seal attacks but not a glove to the tail...BS use the dam glove.
2.Bringing the fish to be released into the boat while it squirms in the net cutting its gill rakers. One deep hook in the gills can kill fish before they can even be beached. Any damage prevention to the gill rakers must be foremost on a catch and release.
3. Dragging a fish onto the beach allowing it to roll around in the gravel before letting it go. Pulling fish into water that is full of damaging silt and fine gravel.
4. Taking the fish from the water to take its picture....ego!!! Run a marathon then hold your breath for a minute so I can take a picture.
5. Most of the catch and release areas on the peninsula rivers are the spawning areas. There are guides and fishermen who target the same stretch of river day after day because they can catch fish there. You hook the same fish repeatedly its going to be weak and less prone to survive, but because you let it go its ok in your mind. If the run needs protection.......Shut it Down or at the very least stay the hell off the Spawning BEDS!!!
6. Using line so light that it takes forever to get the fish to the shore causing lactic acid build up in the fish.....DEAD FISH

Every fishermen has a impact on the system they are fishing, including myself and so does C&R. To hide on the holy side is BS.

I also think it is hypocritcal to stand up for complete C&R of steelhead and Then bash salmon on the head out of the same river.

Calls them like I sees them.....If that offends you ....look again

------------------
Marty
www.steelheader.net
marty@steelheader.net