Originally Posted By: Larry B
Retrospectively, two additional observations.

Director Anderson had a representative from the State Attorney's office with him and made the point that he took what he perceived as having been the path of least damage - current and future (based upon legal advice). I'm not sure he adequately considered the perception of his primary stakeholders. Sometimes it is better to simply fight the good fight.

So WFC agreed not to sue for 2 1/2 years? I certainly didn't get the good feeling that WDFW and NOAA/NMFS were going to have all of the HGMPs accomplished by a date certain let alone within the settlement period even using their current approach to consolidate by river/watershed. Here it is the end of July and Jones said in response to a direct question from the Chair that he hoped that they would have the three groups currently in the hopper done by the end of the year. That is five months from now! No one talked about the number of such groupings nor an anticipated completion date for them all to be reviewed and approved. Just remember that WFC's Glasgow didn't discount future lawsuits.....

EXACTLY! In fact, Glasgow said they fully intend to continue filing lawsuits whenever possible.

After the hearing, I asked "what exactly was the purpose of this hearing?" I was told it was to pressure NOAA into action to prevent further lawsuits! Talk about too late!!

There is no pressure on NOAA. They are not named in the lawsuits and the WDFW can't (won't ) fight the lawsuits to bring NOAA into the process.

WE THE SPORTSMEN, WHO ARE THE PRIMARY SOURCE OF FUNDING FOR THE FISH MANAGEMENT PROGRAM SHOULD EXPECT SOME SORT OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND COMPETENCY FROM THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF OUR RESOURCES! FOR THE DIRECTOR OF WDFW TO ALLOW SUCH A BLATANT OVERSIGHT TO OCCURE WHICH RESULTED IN THIS LAWSUIT IS GROUNDS FOR HIS RESIGNATION!

Edited by Bay wolf (07/30/14 05:16 PM)

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)