Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Yes, WDFW will cave as if there is the requirement to have permits and don't there really isn't much of a defense.

Perhaps they should try the following (numbers are made up to serve as an example only)

1. Define clearly the acceptable result. Hatchery introgression into wild spawners, as measured by the following:
a. No more than 5% of total spawners are hatchery.
b. No more than 1% of emergent fry have hatchery parents.
c. No more than 3% of smolts are of hatchery origin.

2. 2 out of 3 of the above need to be met annully.

4. First four years are "free" as those smolts are already out there.

5. Two consecutive years of meeting one or fewer results in complete closure of that particular program for a decade.

6. One year of non-monitoring of any of 1 a,b, or c results in a decade closure of that program.

Look for actual results, not plans.

Just out of curiosity, what do you reckon your criteria will achieve? Some of your criteria roughly coincide with segregated programs, so how would you address integrated and recovery programs? Are you talking about listed species only?

One important aspect to consider is that just because hatchery spawners are present doesn't mean that they're changing the genetic composition of a native, natural stock. For example, spawn timing and reproductive capacity of hatchery fish need to be considered; presence on spawning grounds does not equate to gene flow in other words.

I understand that your proportions are being used as a example, but fish populations are highly elastic and it's exceedingly difficult to set specific objectives when the environment and its effects on fish abundance is so dynamic.

All things considered, I would wager restoration and protection of nearshore and river ecosystems would have a much more significant impact on wild fish populations. Focusing on hatcheries is a distraction and whatever results may come in the next decade regarding hatchery production will likely have zero impact on the health of natural populations. I'm far more concerned that the population of Pugetropolis is expected to grow by the millions in the next decade than what my local hatchery produces.