Quick message I sent out to Gov/Comm. I want to be sure Wecker is in the radar....

I was sorry to hear about Phil Anderson stepping down. I didn't agree with him all the time, but I genuinely liked him. These are tough times facing WDFW. They are getting it from all sides: budget cuts, litigious environmental zealots, poor returns on some fish stocks, Ferderal pressure...the list goes on.

While Phil was a pragmatist, I don't think he possessed the leadership skills to see the agency through tough times. Pragmatism is vital, leadership and vision even more so.

One person already part of WDFW has demonstrated both - Commission Chair Miranda Wecker. I think she is the ideal candidate for Director. She's the perfect balance of "insider" (having been part of the Commission for many years) and "fresh perspective" (she's essentially a volunteer for WDFW, chosen for the knowledge and experience she gained outside the government sphere).

She was chosen as Chair because she's both a strong leader and a pragmatist, which she has demonstrated time and again. Most impressively, she is not afraid to address and re-visit what she deems WDFW and the Commission's mistakes - which she fully owns up to. Her legal background also seriously enhances her resume for a government directorial position.

Additionally, she's friendly, charismatic and has a great attitude. I really think she should be given priority consideration for the job of WDFW Director.