I can relate to that too...have to re-discipline myself every year when it is time to skate flies again. I've been taught a little different than your old timers recipe for the true rookie. People that react too soon to the strike also often get excited and pin the line to the cork too long which will break the fish off. More foolproof is to set the drag strong enough to set the hook, keep your hand off the line, maybe nod a little to feed a little slack to the fish. When line pulls off the reel you got him and usually all hell breaks lose. I really enjoy fish that come back to the fly like that and the one I posted in the Oct thread was a classic. First cast the fish rose to the fly with a slight splash but didn't take it. Next time it rose in the same spot again, missed but turned and then chased it down for another strike, but still didn't grab it. At this point I changed to a similar pattern in a different, more subdued color. Next cast she nailed it in a spectacular strike followed by a 30 yd run. I love it when it works like that!