It was always interesting to hear what Lemire had to say regarding steelhead and fishing for them. However, what he was willing to do to get a steelhead to hit on his last trip to the Kispiox and on his first trip to the Kispiox in 1968 were light years apart. So what I mean is, that just because he wouldn't follow up, or follow up with a wet fly, doesn't mean that is a fishing model everyone should adopt, at least not before the age of 70.

I have to stop and ask myself why I do what I do. That is, I've had a reel loaded with a Skagit head and a bunch of sink tips along with me on my last three trips to B.C., yet never strung it up even on days I couldn't raise a fish to the surface. Why? Because I didn't drive 850 miles to hook a steelhead on a sink tip, that's why. Ultimately, getting that steelhead to hit is both a function of the fish's willingness to play, and the angler's willingness to move the sideboards that define his fishing method. Harry wouldn't budge his sideboards a millimeter the last few years he fished before his death. Steelhead fishing is not a logical enterprise.

Sg