Originally Posted By: Krijack
Baywolf,
I think you are on track with the question about whether the state can ignore the OPA. In this case I do not think they can. It probably would involve a law suit, but I think the tribe would need to show a compelling reason for the meetings to be closed. Since, in this case, the state is nothing more than a representative of us, and no state secrets are being discussed, and all members are required to negotiate by law, I see no way the Tribes could argue to keep the meetings fully closeted. They might be able to get away with closed circuit meetings to keep out disruptions or other reasonable accommodations, but in my opinion that is the best they could do. The state should follow the tribes suit and try to get an injunction forcing the tribes to negotiate with the closed circuit cameras.

The tribes have been using the same sovereign nation argument to pay off the politicians, claiming they are not bound by campaign financing laws. Again, they may be right .... but I believe the politicians they are paying off are subject to the law. I think the first step in all this process is to get a law passed that limits what a politician can accept. We may need to get an initiative started that forces this issue.

Absolutely concur!

Actually, there already is an initiative in place to challenge the closed door NOF meetings. (See THFWA.Org website for updates)

The hard nut to crack is the States reluctance to challenge the Tribes. Not just in allowing the people of the State into these meetings, but on many issues in our fisheries.

With just a little research, you can see that the Governor (or his staff) is up to his balls deep in meddling with the NOF process on behalf of the Tribes. (could it be because of donations?)

There is also the court of public perception. We need to get the truth out in this arena as well. The tribes always fall back on the position of being "Champions of Conservation". And they do a lot in that regards, but they also over fish and use non-selective methods that take ESA listed fish out of already strained systems.

We (the sportsmen) really need to organize now more than ever and get involved. It's not easy, and may look overwhelming, but if there is any hope in improving the fisheries the burden is on us to do it.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)