Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/domes_fish/StatusoFisheries/2005/finalSOS/Appendices_2-5_FINAL.pdf

Page 38-39 talks about "overfishing" on West Coast Salmon

on September 27, 2000, the Pacific Fishery Management Council's (PFMC) criteria for an overfishing concern are met if, in three consecutive years, the post-season estimates indicate a natural stock has fallen short of its conservation objective (MSY, maximum sustainable production (MSP2), or spawner floor as noted for some harvest rate objectives) as listed in
Table 3-1 of the Salmon FMP. It is possible that a failure to meet conservation objectives for three consecutive years could result from normal variation, as has been seen in the past for several previously referenced salmon stocks which were reviewed under the PFMC's former overfishing definition. However, the occurrence of three consecutive years of reduced stock size or spawner escapements, depending on the magnitude of the short-fall, may signal the beginning of a critical downward trend which may result in fishing that jeopardizes the capacity of the stock to produce MSY over the long term if appropriate actions are not taken.

The three year definition appears to have been superseded at the last re-write of the salmon fishery mgt plan. A more recent document (Mar 2016) states:

Stock- specific overfishing determinations will be made annually and are based on exploitation during a single biological year.

eyeFISH,

You are on a roll and I probably shouldn't interrupt.

Thank you for the link above, just skimming through it has answered some questions while producing others. I’ll take a more deliberate approach later this week while looking for answers to other questions.

Smalma on occasion has mentioned the ramifications of recreational salmon fishing over mixed stocks. Well, looking at the Ocean commercial fisheries off our coast and up north-- that looks like the mother of all mixed stock fisheries. As we know the pre-season predictions can be quite inaccurate but the ocean fisheries are formed and get first whack.

The ocean fisheries while fishing in mixed stock fisheries are quite wasteful considering that the fish caught can be as small as ½ their potential size compared to being caught later in the season at their terminal areas. But, PFMC and US Commerce must know best.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them