There is an interesting aspect to this question that has bubbled up a few times. I grew up in CA. Almost all my fishing was shore based, walk and wade. At least the freshwater stuff, which was almost all I did due to mal-de-mer.

Up here, the primary fisheries are boat-based. Marine salmon, tuna, rockfish, halibut. Freshwater takes driftboats or some other craft for lakes.

So, the question about buying a license gets weighed against the boat or boats stored in the garage/shed/marina. Add to that the fact that most boat-based trips include others and it becomes an even bigger social event. I remember my Dad and a bunch of coworkers heading up to our cabin for opening day of kokanee. I chose not to go as I had both a track meet and the quality of fishing was iffy. They, on the other hand, had a great weekend of eating, drinking , probably lying, and did get some fish. And a good time was had by all.

There is a lot more to our motivations than just if there are fish to catch. WDFW is betting on it.