I think what is happening may be a combination of ignorance and the political wrangling Carcassman is talking about. It seems most of the time the State will tell us that the only option there is for them is to go back to court and sue the tribes. That does not appear to be the truth, but it is likely what the people we are talking to believe and have been told by those in charge. They are not paid to dig into the politics, just to do as directed. So when we make a call or ask a question about the path they are taking they will simply parrot back what they are being told and, likely what they believe. Breaking through the chain of command and demanding the full truth is what needs to happen. For years part of my job involved getting permits and wading through regulations and county agencies. I probably pissed off quite a few people, but I never stop asking why until I get an answer. At one point I had a representative start yelling and screaming at me. I knew nothing and the regulation in place was never changing. I ended up going to a county council member, who then called in a manager and asked him about why the regulation was the way it was. At that point it became clear that they simply had made their calculations the easiest way possible and really didn't care that they were grossly unfair or unrepresentative of what was happening in the field. I never will forget the look on his face when my council member stated, "So basically, you are just screwing people because it's easiest." There was silence, she looked up and said, "Get me something in a week or I will get the council to do it ourselves." It saved me about $20-$30 thousand at that time and complete changed the fee structure they were charging, probably costing the department millions. Twenty years later it I don't think anyone there could even envision them doing the calculations the way they were. But, I am not sure if I had not stood up to their bullying that it ever would have changed. Most of the people I know were afraid of rocking the boat and that they would never get another permit if they pushed it issue. Be polite, but never stop asking why until you get the right answer. Most of the times there is a good answer, but it has to be dug out as no one down low knows why, nor do they care. Once you break through, most of those on the top know the issue and will work with you. Pushing those who don't know understand will only get you enemies.