Having a Plenary meeting is the same as a magician saying, "Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!" He's already convinced you that he can actually pull it off. The NWIFC laid out a lot of issues that, for all practical purposes are, and have been known for some time. But I would like to draw your attention to the elephant in the room, so to speak. Everybody got all lathered up in rainbows and started singing kumbaya because the tribes met face to face for once and spoke to us like we mattered.

Why is this such a "great leap forward"? Isn't this how Co-management SHOULD of been done all along? Shouldn't the tribes be in attendance at all the public North of Falcon meetings, and shouldn't ALL the North of Falcon Meetings, and ALL meetings where fish and wildlife management is discussed be open?

I find it amusing that so many recreational fishermen gave accolades to the tribes for "allowing us the great privilege" to hear them tell us about all the problems that are facing our fish. (Most of which we caused). Sure, they used words like "trust" and "cooperation", but did they commit anything other than words of encouragement? Did they commit to full and unedited transparency in all matters going forward? Of course not.

I want to remind all of you. This "Plenary Meeting" was a direct result of the Open NOF pressure that we are applying to the NWIFC and WDFW/Commission. It was in the Oct 23 meeting that we insisted WDFW leadership send a letter to Lorraine Loomis insisting on Open, transparent negotiations. It was in that letter that the idea of a Plenary meeting was suggested. WE did not suggest a plenary meeting, nor did we endorse it. (Recall, we did not even get the courtesy of seeing a draft) The idea was entirely, we believe, Ron Warren's. And we think it was done AFTER consultation with the tribes as a solution to break the support for the OPEN NOF MEETINGS MOVEMENT.

The NWIFC jumped on the Plenary meeting because it was the perfect way to "Pull a rabbit out of the hat". And they pulled it off pretty darn well. In one meeting, they fooled a whole lot of people into thinking they are willing to work in full cooperation and build trust, yet actually and yet, still keep their negotiations and deals secret!

Time will tell how far this NEW WAVE of cooperation goes, and how much more the tribes are willing to fully engage with the recreational community. One meeting certainly is a start, but, the very definition of Co-management dictates that this type of exchange should of been going on from the start and should continue from now on.

There should not be a rabbit in a hat in Co-management, the rabbit should be on the table, in plain view, where everyone can see it.

END THE SECRETS IN CO-MANAGEMENT!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)