This officially ticks me off. There is no excuse for the department to state they are continuing to "work with the tribe". Last year I talked to a staff member that stated he just needed to work out some details but that an opening was going to happen. Then Ron Warren and promises that the season would open up or a legal challenge would be made. Now they come back with continued negotiations? From my discussions with the staff member, negotiations were going on for at least a year. The closure has been for much longer. So, what is the delay. Clearly they can not get to an agreement on a fairly simple issue for close to 2 years.

Now look at the tribes statements.....
Miller said the tribe and state have not directly discussed reopening the fishery in 2018. The tribe will continue to defend its claim to the river, he said.

And Ron Warren's Statement>>>>Speaking at a Kitsap Poggie Club meeting in Bremerton Wednesday night, Ron Warren, head of the Department of Fish and Wildlife's fish program, said the state will bring forward a fishery package for the Skokomish River during this year's North of Falcon salmon season-setting process.
"We cannot — and pretty strong words — go another year without fishing in the Skokomish River," Warren told members of the Kitsap fishing club, many of whom remain outraged by the river closure.

Then the state's latest statement >>>>>Skokomish River: A portion of the Skokomish River remains closed to non-tribal fishing this year, due to an ongoing dispute over whether the river is part of the Skokomish Reservation. WDFW will continue to work with the Skokomish Tribe to resolve the matter

From the statements, I am left with these impressions. That, as stated, the river will remain closed this year. Not, may open, or a opening is being negotiated, but will remain closed. That the tribe has no intent on negotiating. And, three, the state intents do keep "negotiating".

Is any scenario in which we are not either being misinformed or clearly lied to?

From what I can gather from what the Attorney General's office stated, the only way to legally challenge this is to open it up, allow the Tribe to either sue the State or cite an angler, and then let the courts make a decision. Not opening it up or making means to do so appears to make it clear the State intends to do nothing.

I am not sure if this would legally work but this is how I am feeling.
At some point it may be necessary to just go down and start fishing. If the State tries to enforce the rules, it can be claimed they have no jurisdiction, having given in to the Tribe's claims. If the Tribe cites someone, then they will be forced to prove jurisdiction. Any opinion on this Todd?

I know most of you hate this fishery anyways, but the potential of what it could be should be considered. There is no reason it should open with the same regulations as the past. Regardless what happens, a clear opportunity for a reset is present.