Three Rivers Marine

Page 92 of 201 < 1 2 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 200 201 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1006613 - 04/07/19 05:16 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET *** [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
After researching the hatchery production for the Chehalis I was taken back a bit on several things but the most obvious one being the falsification of the preseason forecast. Simply put the NOF harvest model utilized ends on Dec 1st but staff are including the late Coho which return after Dec 1 in the fall harvest model which inflates and distorts the actual number of adults available for harvest. So all understand I asked staff if the late Coho where in the fall model and they confirmed it. I used smolt releases for the hatcheries to use as a tool to track just how this effects fisheries. Keep in mind after Nov 15th it is the very start of the late Coho run and very few of these fish are present and the vast majority of the normal timed Coho are past areas available for fishing. The T day Coho which are the remaining Satsop natural timed are present in numbers, sometimes.

Fellow Advisers:

So far in the NOF meetings, both Adviser and public, I have been surprised by the lack of understanding of just what and how our salmon runs are comprised of and the timing of those runs.

So I have requested that staff provide the complete model be projected on the wall to fully utilize it. Additionally in the model is a tab that has not been shared with the public or Advisers and it is labeled Total Exploitation Summary. Many of the questions regarding Chinook harvest and conservation are easily understood if discussed while viewing this tab. In my opinion the criticism of the Johns River catch and release and inriver REC fisheries are misguided. Catch and Release is a primary tool utilized by WDF&W for conservation based harvest. Yes fish die but the thought that by restricting these fisheries would affect the health of the Chehalis Chinook run is simply a fantasy.

While I have voiced concern about the Johns River fishery limiting the REC opportunity in the North channel which violates Item 7 of Guiding Principles it should not be taken as a rejection of the Johns River South Channel fishery but rather a failure by staff to recognize some simple facts. The Johns River South Channel fishery is in relatively shallow water and Chinook for whatever tend to hold creating excellent opportunity while Coho is much more limited. The North Channel is a deep channel and Chinook present are moving and the ability to catch Chinook is drastically reduced but Coho opportunity is dramatically enhanced.

Terminal it is the QIN that have total control of our Chinook escapement, period. WDF&W fisheries are restricted by the 3/5 clause of the GHMP and I doubt that non treaty fisheries will have any directed Chinook in the foreseeable future. The true damage to our Chinook stock is marine from Alaska all the way to the Washington coast. To advocate that we give up the paltry 5% impact after the returning adult Chinook are mauled in the marine fisheries all the way up to the Grays Harbor bar at Westport will help with escapement is frankly as I said a fantasy. Viewing The Total Exploitation Summary tab will make this abundantly clear.

Coho behavior is reasonably consistent year to year staging above South Monte Bridge to above the Nuke site intakes and then slowly but steadily work their way upstream with this rather large variable, rain. In a normal year the normal timed Coho stage as I said above Friends Landing and below Fuller Hill but if it rains not so. Take last year it rained early and bounced the river. By bounced I mean the Satsop and Upper Chehalis received enough rain to rapidly raise flows to well above normal flows and Coho have a direct response of moving upstream to where ever they feel like. This past year they moved up to the area around Fuller Hill and staged up but the Satsop normal timed hatchery release turned into the Satsop and continued up to near and above Schafer State Park. This resulted in the Chehalis River below the South Elma Bridge to South Monte having primarily the hatchery returns of what remained of the two hatchery releases on the Satsop ( not much ) and the Skookumchuck & Onalaska combined 100K normal timed Coho hatchery adults available for harvest.

This event coupled with the hatchery returns underperforming in my view resulted in a mix of wild out numbering hatchery fish in the range of 20 to 1. With a conservation restricted season this resulted in a full blown catch and release Coho fishery. It is doubtful that the total REC impact exceeded expectations as once it rained the Bay and tide water fisheries drastically underperformed and Coho impacts were simply taken upstream.

For the Chehalis River the available hatchery fish for harvest is dominated by two things, the weather ( rain ) be it lack of slowing down the fish movement upstream or a river flow bounce which puts the fish into a rather rapid movement upstream before they stop and stage up. The other is hatchery production which provides opportunity but it is not a uniform thing for all fishers. First we have two distinctly different stocks with two different run timings. Normal timed with show in August and increase in numbers to mid November and lates which start showing in the last two weeks of November through December. Then the location of the hatchery releases which do not generate the same opportunity for all users. Rather than use adult returns for the hatchery returns I am listing the numbers by release and give or take a bit on smolt survival the normal timed Coho are similar. Two variables are upper basin Coho smolt releases have a lower smolt survival than lower basin releases and Normal timed a Coho smolts have a higher survival than late Coho smolts. Also the mix in streams of hatchery & wild can vary wildly. A example to use is the Wishkah and Satsop sub basins which are very different and the wild production can limit access to the hatchery production on the Wishkah even if you have substantial hatchery production present. The same applies to the Satsop sub basins in some years but hatchery production is on the East fork only with the Middle and West Forks free of hatchery influence.

Chehalis Hatchery Coho Releases
Normal Timed
Westport net pens is 100k
Mayr is 300k
Friends Landing is 25k
Satsop Springs is 450k
Bingham is 150k
Onalaska is 50k
Skookumchuck is 50K

Total 1,125,000 K Normal Timed Coho Releases

Late Timed
Bingham is 150K
Skookumchuck is 50k
Onalaska is 50k
Eight Cr is 100K

350K Late Timed Coho Releases

Total Chehalis Hatchery Coho Releases 1,475,000

The hatchery releases are of two stocks that overlap. Normal timed arrive at the hatchery prior to December 1st and Lates after December 1st. Simply put a percentage of normal timed Coho will return with the lates and a percentage of lates will return early with the normal timed Coho.

How this relates to the availability hatchery origin adults for summer fishing seasons before November 1 put forth below:

BAY: If you are fishing below the 101 bridge in Aberdeen you are fishing on the adult returns off of 1,025,000 normal timed Coho. You must subtract the Late Coho releases and the Westport Boat Basin net pen fish. The net pen fish are Bingham Satsop origin conditioned to return to the boat basin but it is doubtful that only a marginal amount of adults will be available to fisheries other than the boat basin. This number of hatchery and wild Coho available to the Rec fisher is at its greatest in the North Channel of the bay.
ABOVE WISHKAH RIVER: If you are fishing above the Wishkah River you must subtract the Mayr Hatchery releases and are fishing on 750,000 normal timed Coho smolt releases.
WISHKAH RIVER: If you fish the Wishkah River you are fishing on the release of 300,000 normal timed hatchery Coho.
BELOW SOUTH MONTE BRIDGE: If you are fishing below the South Monte Bridge you are fishing on releases of 750,000 normal timed Coho releases.
BELOW FULLER HILL: If you are fishing below Fuller Hill you are fishing on the returns from 725,000 normal timed Coho smolt releases. As with the Westport Boat Basin fish you must subtract the smolt releases from Friends Landing but it is my thought that a few will make it into the upriver catch as stated
SATSOP RIVER: You are fishing off the Bingham & Satsop Springs Hatcheries releases of 600,000 normal time Coho smolt releases.
ABOVE FULLER HILL: If you are fishing above Fuller Hill Bridge you are fishing on 100,000 normal timed Coho smolt releases from the Onalaska program and Eight Cr. site.

AFTER NOVEMBER 15th:
BAY AND BELOW SOUTH MONTE BRIDGE: It almost always rains around the first week of November and the river tribs plus mainstem rise sharply and brown up. This is the end of nearly all REC Coho opportunity for this reach of the basin.
ABOVE THE SOUTH MONTE BRIDGE: You are fishing on 350,000 late timed hatchery Coho smolt releases.
SATSOP RIVER: You are fishing on 150,000 late timed hatchery Coho smolt releases.
ABOVE FULLER HILL: You are fishing on 200,000 late timed hatchery Coho smolt releases.

I hope this helps all in understanding some of the conflicts clearly visible between the public & some Advisers in the NOF process.

Dave

Edited by Rivrguy (04/07/19 05:21 AM)

#1006616 - 04/07/19 08:29 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
They are not including the late component in the NOF outside planning?????

Way back, like 70s, WDG planted steelhead in Kennedy Creek but, for a while anyway, those plants didn't make the published lists. Nice little fishery was created.

Edited by Carcassman (04/07/19 08:32 AM)

#1006617 - 04/07/19 09:15 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Not sure on the outside but I think yes is the answer as they bunch up the numbers regardless of timing. Like the old days, a Coho is a Coho which is similar to the old H & W discussion. Old habits die hard. The difference here is they recognize the difference and manage somewhat for it but take the winter Lates returns and pump up the fall numbers for harvest. They even set limits on the Lates but it is in the Steelhead season which starts Dec 1.

#1007089 - 04/14/19 09:18 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Staff provided this model run for the Advisers review. THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE but rather staff trying to keep the Advisers informed and are subject to change. In fact Chad, Mike, and Kim have went the extra mile as it relates to information. Mr. Philips even updated things with screens to compare models side by side as to changes. Credit given for this element of GH NOF folks.

Other issues still abound as always but the seasons provided in this model appear to be reasonable. If some want the model shoot me a PM.

From Mike:

Hey All,

The process is what it is, then things happen. We’ve had technical exchange of the attached updated planning model, but no policy level discussion yet. There are adjustments to both commercial and sport schedules. On the sport side, changes are what was talked about in the Advisory meeting, model E; going mark-selective in the North Bay, and going to a one-fish bag in the Humptulips, but allowing a two-fish bag in September and requiring the release wild Chinook and wild Coho. For the commercial adjustments in 2C, we proposed one day in week 42 (week of Oct 13) and one in week 44 (week of Oct 27). In 2A/D, four days in weeks 43 and 44 (weeks of Oct 20 and 27). These adjustments are depicted in the attached model.

Model F - PFMC 2 April 14 2019
Fishery Description
Sport
Marine 2.2 Dates Bag Limit
Area 2D only Sept 16-Nov 30 2 Adult bag: release Chinook (east of 2B only)
Area 2C only Aug 1-Sept 15 1 Adult bag: release wild Chinook and wild Coho

Chehalis River Mouth to Hwy 6 0 0
Chehalis River Mouth to South Elma Bridge Aug 1-Sept 15 : Release adult salmon
Sept 16-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook
0 0
Chehalis River Porter up to High Bridge Oct 1-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook
0 0
Hwy 6 to high bridge

Hoquiam Oct 1-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook

Wishkah Oct 1-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook

Wynoochee Oct 1-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook

Satsop Oct 1-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook
0 0

Black River Oct 1-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook

Skookumchuck Oct 16-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook

Newaukum Oct 16-Dec 31 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook

Elk and Johns Oct. 1-Nov 30 2 Adult bag: Release Chinook

Humptulips River FW Sept. 1-Sept 30 2 Adult bag: release wild Chinook and wild Coho
Oct. 1-Nov 30 1 Adult bag: 1 may be Chinook, release wild Chinook and wild Coho
Dec 1-Dec 31 1 Adult bag: release Chinook and wild Coho

Area 2A/2D Week 43 4 12 hr days, live boxes, short soak, release wild Chinook
Area 2A/2D Week 44 4 12 hr days, live boxes, short soak, release wild Chinook

Area 2C Week 42 1 12 hr days, live boxes
Area 2C Week 44 1 12 hr days, live boxes

#1007090 - 04/14/19 09:39 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey

Am I not reading it right, because I don't read what happens between South Elma bridge and Porter. Is it closed or should the line say from South Elma bridge to the high bridge instead of from Porter?

#1007092 - 04/14/19 10:05 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

Area 2A/2D Week 43 4 12 hr days, live boxes, short soak, release wild Chinook
Area 2A/2D Week 44 4 12 hr days, live boxes, short soak, release wild Chinook

So the commercials get to keep hatchery chinook in 2A/2D and sports don't? What a F'n crock.

#1007101 - 04/15/19 08:08 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: fish4brains]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Forwarded your question Ron.

On the Chinook keep total NT Commercial Chinook impact is 106 with 24 being hatchery. Keep in mind that the hatchery Chinook are broodstocked Satsop from the supplementation program to maintain the Satsop and not a true hatchery program as found in places such as Willapa. The Rec harvest utilizes its share in C&R vs kill which from my seat is proper as the policy dictates it and frankly if allowed to do a Chehalis kill fishery we would blow the numbers in record time and be off the water. The NT Commercial season will be primarily Chum 12,655 and Coho 4239 with the few Chinook impacts very low and incidental.

#1007110 - 04/15/19 09:51 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: ronnie]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: ronnie

Am I not reading it right, because I don't read what happens between South Elma bridge and Porter. Is it closed or should the line say from South Elma bridge to the high bridge instead of from Porter?

Ron:

Here is what I have: April 2, 2019

Chehalis River

Lower River(South Elma Bridge) August 1, ---- September 15....This is a fought for "jack fishery".

Lower River(Porter Bridge to 101 Bridge) Sept. 16 - Dec. 31....This is the normal opening...… Yes I know there were years where adult Coho were allow before this date...… but its not going to happen this year....what we have is a fishery that many enjoy, allow to Dec. 31

Upper River(Porter Bridge upstream) Oct 1 -- Dec 31, covers all the plants in upper basin.

Bottom line....2018, above S. Monty....We lost Sept 16 - Sept 30, only jacks and hatchery Coho, AND the season ended Nov 30.

For those of us that enjoy the Chehalis River fishery, this is a much better season than 2018......yea, I know, Chinook have to be released BUT that is true of all the tributaries that flow into the Chehalis.

Oh, to answer YOUR question, if a person likes to fish between Porter bridge and South Elma bridge....Sept. 16 - Dec. 31 covers that.

Edited by DrifterWA (04/15/19 10:00 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1007111 - 04/15/19 09:57 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Mike got right back and here is the info.

Attached is a summary of the seasons. I’ll send this out to the distribution list in a little while. The Chehalis River from the mouth to South Elma Bridge will be open Aug 1 through Sept 15 for jacks only, then from the mouth up to Porter from Sept 16 through Dec, and from Porter upstream from Oct 1 through Dec. Let me know if this helps.

2019 Grays Harbor basin Recreational Salmon Season package, April 15, 2019
Quinault River
• July 1 – Sept 30: release adult salmon.
• Oct 1 – Nov 30: 2 adult bag, release Sockeye and Chum
Queets River Basin
• Clearwater River
o Sept 1 – Nov 30: 1 adult bag.
• Queets and Salmon rivers
o Sept 1 – Nov 30: 2 adult bag, only 1 Chinook, release wild Coho.
Copalis, Moclips, Joe Creek
• Sept 1 – Dec 31: 2 adult bag, release Chinook.
Grays Harbor Marine Area 2.2
• North Bay
o Aug 1 – Sept 15: 1 adult bag, release wild Chinook and wild Coho.
• East Bay
o Sept 16 – Nov 30: 2 adult bag, release Chinook.
Humptulips River
• Sept 1 – Sept 30: 2 adult bag, release wild Chinook and wild Coho.
• Oct 1 – Nov 30: 1 adult bag, one may be a Chinook, release wild Chinook and wild Coho.
• Dec 1 – Dec 31: 1 adult bag, release Chinook and wild Coho.
Chehalis River
• Lower river (South Elma Bridge)
o Aug 1 – Sept 15: release adult salmon.
• Lower river (Porter Bridge) (2-pole only up to South Elma Bridge)
o Sept 16 – Dec 31: 2 adult bag, release Chinook.
• Upper river (Porter Bridge upstream)
o Oct 1 – Dec 31: 2 adult bag, release Chinook.
Hoquiam, Wishkah, Wynoochee, Satsop, Johns, Elk, Van Winkle
• Oct 1 – Dec 31: 2 adult bag, release Chinook.
Skookumchuck and Newaukum
• Oct 16 – Dec 31: 2 adult bag, release Chinook.

#1007129 - 04/15/19 01:18 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey

Thanks, River Guy

The above clears up the ambiguity in the first reg posting.

And I agree. Chehalis season much better than last year.

#1007188 - 04/16/19 08:14 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
J. T. Piscator Offline
Alevin

Rivrguy, Is the summary you posted yesterday morning the final approved seasons? The North of Falcon website announcement yesterday was seriously lacking in information. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL AND DETAILED INFORMATION YOU POST!!

#1007189 - 04/16/19 08:22 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: J. T. Piscator]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

I think so but as in all things the QIN must agree and I lost track of that part. Minus a big hiccup I think that is it.

#1008146 - 05/01/19 07:14 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Kim sent this out in response to questions during NOF. I think some might find the information interesting.

To All Interested Parties:

During some of the 2019 Grays Harbor NOF and advisory group meetings, constituents inquired about climate and pinniped issues effecting salmon management. Below I included some links to presentations given by WDFW employees pertaining to these issues during the 2019 NOF meetings.

The first link is a climate presentation given by Marisa Litz at the statewide forecast meeting held on February 27, 2019. Marisa’s presentation begins around the 42 minute marker.
http://hostedevents.invintus.com/WADeptF...ntID=2019021004

The second link is a pinniped management presentation given by Nathan Pamplin at the NOF meeting held on April 3, 2019. Nathan’s presentation begins around the 47 minute marker.
http://hostedevents.invintus.com/WADeptF...ntID=2019041000

Hope you find these presentations informative regarding both of these issues.

Enjoy the rest of your week,

Kim Figlar-Barnes
Fish Biologist – Grays Harbor
WDFW Fish Program – Region 6
48 Devonshire Rd.
Montesano, WA 98563
360-249-4628 ex 235

#1009827 - 06/04/19 11:51 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Some folks asked me if this is worth doing. Well if you feel compelled to object I guess so but not really. The agency dumped everything into one big run rather than area by area as we are used to seeing. After that it was up on the website that the rules would be adopted around the 26th which translated means it is all done already. Now how this is possible is what The Twin Harbors Fish & Wildlife Advocacy legal challenge to the NOF not complying with the APA process ( CR 101 / 102 / ect to set a WAC ) that Bay Wolf has been putting up in other threads is about. You might want to pay attention to this as this is not about " I don't like the season " but rather a challenge to the complete violation of legal statute by WDF&W in how they set season in private minus a record while running out the NOF dog & pony show.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is proposing rule changes for recreational salmon fishing. The agency developed these changes through a pre-season planning process known as “North of Falcon” that includes a series of public meetings with federal, state, tribal and industry representatives and other concerned citizens. Rules based on the North of Falcon planning process change from year to year to reflect resource availability and achieve conservation goals.

The CR-102 and proposed WAC can be viewed and downloaded at: https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/development#19-03-137a.

In accordance with RCW 34.05.320, a public hearing will be held on:

Wednesday, June 25, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., at the Natural Resources Building, Room 682, 1111 Washington St., SE, Olympia, WA, 98504 (Puget Sound Marine and Freshwater)

Thursday, June 25, 2019, at 1:00 p.m., at the Region 5 Office, Room 102, 5525 S 11th Street, Ridgefield, WA, 98642 (Columbia River)

Thursday, June 26, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., at the Region 6 Office, Large Conference Room, 48 Devonshire Road, Montesano, WA, 98563 (Coastal Marine)

Thursday, June 26, 2019, at 11:00 a.m., at the Region 6 Office, Large Conference Room, 48 Devonshire Road, Montesano, WA, 98563 (Coastal Freshwater)

In case you are unable to or do not wish to attend the public hearing, you may submit written comments to WDFW’s rules coordinator, Scott Bird, at PO Box 43152, Olympia, WA 98501; via e-mail at Rules.Coordinator@dfw.wa.gov; or via fax at (360) 902-2155.

WDFW must receive comments by June 24, 2019.

Edited by Rivrguy (06/04/19 11:53 AM)

#1009831 - 06/04/19 03:46 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Some folks asked me if this is worth doing. Well if you feel compelled to object I guess so but not really. The agency dumped everything into one big run rather than area by area as we are used to seeing. After that it was up on the website that the rules would be adopted around the 26th which translated means it is all done already. Now how this is possible is what The Twin Harbors Fish & Wildlife Advocacy legal challenge to the NOF not complying with the APA process ( CR 101 / 102 / ect to set a WAC ) that Bay Wolf has been putting up in other threads is about. You might want to pay attention to this as this is not about " I don't like the season " but rather a challenge to the complete violation of legal statute by WDF&W in how they set season in private minus a record while running out the NOF dog & pony show.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is proposing rule changes for recreational salmon fishing. The agency developed these changes through a pre-season planning process known as “North of Falcon” that includes a series of public meetings with federal, state, tribal and industry representatives and other concerned citizens. Rules based on the North of Falcon planning process change from year to year to reflect resource availability and achieve conservation goals.

The CR-102 and proposed WAC can be viewed and downloaded at: https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/development#19-03-137a.

Wednesday, June 25, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., at the Natural Resources Building, Room 682, 1111 Washington St., SE, Olympia, WA, 98504 (Puget Sound Marine and Freshwater)

Thursday, June 25, 2019, at 1:00 p.m., at the Region 5 Office, Room 102, 5525 S 11th Street, Ridgefield, WA, 98642 (Columbia River)

Thursday, June 26, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., at the Region 6 Office, Large Conference Room, 48 Devonshire Road, Montesano, WA, 98563 (Coastal Marine)

Thursday, June 26, 2019, at 11:00 a.m., at the Region 6 Office, Large Conference Room, 48 Devonshire Road, Montesano, WA, 98563 (Coastal Freshwater)

In case you are unable to or do not wish to attend the public hearing, you may submit written comments to WDFW’s rules coordinator, Scott Bird, at PO Box 43152, Olympia, WA 98501; via e-mail at Rules.Coordinator@dfw.wa.gov; or via fax at (360) 902-2155.

Isn't June 26th a Wednesday? Bob R

Edited by bobrr (06/04/19 03:48 PM)

#1009835 - 06/04/19 04:44 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

I just got a correction.

Corrections to the days of the week.

Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 11:15 AM
Subject: Washington State North of Falcon Recreational Fishing Rules Public Hearings Information

Tuesday, June 25, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., at the Natural Resources Building, Room 682, 1111 Washington St., SE, Olympia, WA, 98504 (Puget Sound Marine and Freshwater)

Tuesday, June 25, 2019, at 1:00 p.m., at the Region 5 Office, Room 102, 5525 S 11th Street, Ridgefield, WA, 98642 (Columbia River)

Wednesday, June 26, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., at the Region 6 Office, Large Conference Room, 48 Devonshire Road, Montesano, WA, 98563 (Coastal Marine

Wednesday, June 26, 2019, at 11:00 a.m., at the Region 6 Office, Large Conference Room, 48 Devonshire Road, Montesano, WA, 98563 (Coastal Freshwater)

#1009837 - 06/04/19 04:48 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Now this is interesting!!!!!!!!!!

Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:02 AM
To: Susewind, Kelly (DFW) <Kelly.Susewind@dfw.wa.gov>
Subject: WDFW Director’s Office structure

WDFW Colleagues:
As I near the close of my tenth month as your director, I continue to be impressed by the breadth of our mission and the quality of the work that you all accomplish. I learn something new every day. I hear stories from our external partners about how we interact and affect their quality of life. I continue to be thrilled to be leading this agency, an agency that does so much for fish, wildlife, and the citizens of the state.

I’ve taken some time to assess our challenges, our leadership team, and how that aligns with my own strengths and weaknesses. I have taken time to get to know the agency, and understand what works well, and where our vulnerabilities are.

I am writing to share an update on changes I am making in the Director’s Office that reflect that thinking and will go into effect next month.

After 12 years as your Deputy Director, I have asked Joe Stohr to serve as the Assistant Director (AD) of our Technology and Financial Management Program and also lead our Modern Workforce Initiative. I want us to have 21st century technology, work spaces, records management, and workforce policies that attract and retain talent. Joe will lead this important initiative and set us up for success.

Amy Windrope, our Region 4 Director, served as the Acting Deputy Director during the spring of 2018. Her energy, passion, and ability to connect with and lead staff is admirable. She has been with the agency since 2011 and she excels at bringing programs together to solve tough natural resource challenges. I’ve asked her to serve as the Deputy Director. She’ll start in this new role next month. She’ll also be the lead for coordinating our executive management team. I plan to ask regional program managers to serve as the Acting Region 4 Director on a rotational basis while the recruitment for a permanent replacement is underway.

An area where I think we need additional emphasis is working across programs to enhance our delivery of conservation outcomes. I’ve asked Jeff Davis, currently the Habitat Program Assistant Director, to serve as the Director of Conservation. He will be our lead for establishing a conservation vision and working across programs to support implementation. In this new role, Jeff will also serve as the executive sponsor of our strategic planning effort and will lead the Lean Transformation Office. I’m going to appoint Margen Carlson as the Acting AD of the Habitat Program while we recruit for this vacancy. She is a great leader, has helped in building the program and has a solid grasp on the operations and policy issues. I am confident that she will excel in this role.

Another area where I want to invest additional emphasis is the co-management of fish, with a focus on salmon. I’ve asked Ron Warren, the Fish Program Assistant Director, to be a new Director of Fish Policy. In this role, Ron will lead our work with US v Oregon, US v Washington, and coordinate our Commission’s fish and hatchery policies. This additional capacity will allow a new Fish Program Assistant Director to focus on implementation of the program. I have appointed Kelly Cunningham, the Deputy AD of the Fish Program, to serve as the Acting AD while we recruit for a permanent AD. Kelly has been with the Fish Program since 2012. He is a solid member of our executive management team, lives and breathes fish, and is a strong champion of staff.

Nate Pamplin who is currently our Policy Director will continue in his role, although I’m changing some of the portfolio of his work. We’ve recently centralized budget management in the agency, and I’m moving that newly created work unit from TFM and placing it under Nate. Nate will continue to oversee state and federal legislative affairs and public affairs, but as indicated above, the work he was previously doing associated with strategic planning and executive management coordination are being moved to Jeff and Amy, respectively, to free up some of his capacity to be our executive lead on budget.

As you’ve read, there are a lot of changes coming. I recognize that it is challenging to make these changes while balancing a budget with a significant shortfall. The changes I’ve proposed create two new FTEs. I have also done the calculus. If we don’t address key areas, like making strong improvements on salmon co-management, improving our conservation focus, and working across programs, we will continue to struggle to dig out of what seem to be perennial lean budget years.

There are many more details to sort through to implement the plan I’ve described. I wanted to share my latest thinking, and initiate some of these structural changes. I’m excited about the new team in the Director’s Office that will be able to help partner on our high priority areas.

Please congratulate those in their new positions and support the acting positions while we fill the vacancies created.

Sincerely,

Kelly

#1009863 - 06/04/19 08:23 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Does this mean that Ron Warren is not only getting a big raise, he is also the guy in charge of coordinating the Co-management process?

Boy, you would think after eating $hit from him doing the Ten Year Chinook Management Plan behind the Commission's back, and hanging Unsworth out to dry, they would have had their fill of ol Ron.

I guess I should not be surprised that in an organization that rewards bad behavior, Ron Warren would get a promotion at the very time the department is embroiled in a lawsuit over the North of Falcon, which he oversees!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1009867 - 06/04/19 09:01 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
One of my mentors used say that one should not look at what the Legislature says, but where they actually put money.

Same thing here. Don't look at what they say, who do they promote? That is a clear expression of intent and direction.

#1009870 - 06/04/19 09:28 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Carcassman]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Ladies and Gentlemen, we would now like to introduce bumbling, tie waving, Oliver Hardy as Director of Fish Policy.

Page 92 of 201 < 1 2 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 200 201 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |