LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1013607 - 09/08/19 08:01 AM Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won?
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Anyone have news on the Derby? Pretty difficult finding online info, (and a lot of the earlier derbies don't have any information posted either)

Jeff head looked dead slow, saw only 1 landed, maybe 5 pounds.

Edited by ned (09/08/19 08:02 AM)

#1013611 - 09/08/19 08:40 AM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park

#1013613 - 09/08/19 09:42 AM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...

Impressive that the Sno-King derby folks (Ed et al) have that information available electronically so quickly and that their award ceremony came off so smoothly at the Port of Edmonds.

Not exactly red hot; only 147 fish weighed in. Per the derby rules those fish were gilled and gutted so weights may seem low.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1013625 - 09/08/19 08:40 PM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Winning weights were lower than last year. My son's 3.07lb fish (after gilling and gutting) was good enough for 6th place in the kid division. It also won him the mystery weight prize, which he was pretty excited about.

I was shocked that my 3.56lb fish was good enough to take home some tackle.

#1013629 - 09/09/19 04:57 AM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Great job getting the boy out!!!

#1013632 - 09/09/19 08:52 AM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Fishing is spotty right now. A bunch of little dinks in the mix too, we released several rezzies that were 2-3 lb little Jack guys. Kept 2 between 3 and 6. I think our biggest was 5 something gutted, didn't bother weighing it in.

There have been bigger fish in the mix out there but it appears none wanted to play for derby day.

Hoping it picks up here with the rain!
I want to be a fisherman.

#1013633 - 09/09/19 08:55 AM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

The sekiu numbers just seem to get better and better, Olsons on Saturday was at 3 fish/boat landings and that ain't bad. One would think those fish are heading this way....

#1013644 - 09/09/19 02:23 PM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
"5 something gutted" would have gotten you some decent tackle/prizes this year!

#1013649 - 09/09/19 03:10 PM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Yeah, totally. I actually saw the leaderboard and knew it would be up there, but I had prior commitments way up north to get to and if it wasn't a money fish I didn't have the time needed to wait around unfortunately!

#1013700 - 09/10/19 01:37 PM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I really preferred the Edmonds Coho Derby back in the day before they added the Everett check-in and made it sort of a bigger (all-day long) deal. I understand it's a money maker for the club, fair enough, but I'd actually pay more per ticket if they'd take it back to a single weigh-in location, limited entry, half day thing. Deadline to weigh fish should be 11:30 am. Prizes should start promptly at 12:00. Max of 5 minutes of speeches, and prizes should be disbursed fast--ideally, completely disbursed in half an hour but for sure completely done by 1:00 pm at the latest. Folks should be able to plan to be out of there at 1:00 pm. If they went to a more compressed schedule and maybe increased the number of mystery fish prizes (no reason there couldn't be several mystery fish weights and prizes of $250 each) I'd pay $50 for a ticket and would be likely to weigh our fish even if they aren't top-ten caliber. (Kids tickets really should be free, like for the Everett derby.)

#1013735 - 09/10/19 10:59 PM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: Take-Down]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Take-Down
I really preferred the Edmonds Coho Derby back in the day before they added the Everett check-in and made it sort of a bigger (all-day long) deal. I understand it's a money maker for the club, fair enough, but I'd actually pay more per ticket if they'd take it back to a single weigh-in location, limited entry, half day thing. Deadline to weigh fish should be 11:30 am. Prizes should start promptly at 12:00. Max of 5 minutes of speeches, and prizes should be disbursed fast--ideally, completely disbursed in half an hour but for sure completely done by 1:00 pm at the latest. Folks should be able to plan to be out of there at 1:00 pm. If they went to a more compressed schedule and maybe increased the number of mystery fish prizes (no reason there couldn't be several mystery fish weights and prizes of $250 each) I'd pay $50 for a ticket and would be likely to weigh our fish even if they aren't top-ten caliber. (Kids tickets really should be free, like for the Everett derby.)

Back in the day the Port of Edmonds was far more oriented toward the small boat owner.

What you haven't addressed is the practicality of having only one weigh station and that being at the Port of Edmonds. How many guest moorages for derby contestants' boats can the Port accommodate? That was rhetorical.....clearly the answer is not nearly enough.

#1013743 - 09/11/19 10:26 AM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Larry B. I think the question is whether the Port can provide enough guest moorage and sling/parking space combined. And, what is "enough" depends on how many people participate. As I recall, the Edmonds Derby used to be a "limited" derby. We tended to buy tickets early because it was possible that they would sell out. I liked that and there were some advantages to the club. From a contestant's perspective, I don't think it matters whether you're competing against 200 people or 500. Just a matter of revenue and size/prize availability. Edmonds Derby would be better if it was smaller and shorter. If there are fewer prizes or a smaller grand prize, that would be fine with me.

#1013751 - 09/11/19 11:39 AM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: Take-Down]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Take-Down
Larry B. I think the question is whether the Port can provide enough guest moorage and sling/parking space combined. And, what is "enough" depends on how many people participate. As I recall, the Edmonds Derby used to be a "limited" derby. We tended to buy tickets early because it was possible that they would sell out. I liked that and there were some advantages to the club. From a contestant's perspective, I don't think it matters whether you're competing against 200 people or 500. Just a matter of revenue and size/prize availability. Edmonds Derby would be better if it was smaller and shorter. If there are fewer prizes or a smaller grand prize, that would be fine with me.

I understand that perspective but as you acknowledged it is the club's major fund raiser and that money is put to good use.

FYI the PSA Gig Harbor chapter also holds an annual derby. Fortunately we have been able to have it when the regs allow retention of hatchery Chinook. Between a combination of fewer fish being weighed in and the facilities at Point Defiance being able to handle more trailer boats we have not had a significant congestion problem and could arguably handle more participants.

But to my point. We also have an informal club member only blackmouth outing which is very low key. The "award ceremony" is a boat-in lunch at the Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor.

#1013800 - 09/11/19 08:15 PM Re: Edmonds Derby looked slow, who won? [Re: ned]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
I for one am glad that the Everett Derby will have a weigh in station in Edmonds. That might get me to buy a ticket. I mean if I can catch a Coho between now and then.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |