Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1016724 - 11/07/19 08:54 PM 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
This looks very nice !
And these don't come around very often...
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/1949-browning-superposed-12g-standard-grade.311915/

#1016727 - 11/07/19 11:24 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Beauty right there DD.

I didn't know about that website until you linked it. Thanks a lot - my bank account is in mortal danger.

I spied a little Remington 572 Field Master in there for a reasonable price. Hands down the best .22 ever made. Mine is magically accurate and it's almost 70 years old. Soooo many critters have met their fate...

#1016728 - 11/08/19 06:19 AM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: NickD90]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Beauty right there DD.

I didn't know about that website until you linked it. Thanks a lot - my bank account is in mortal danger.

I spied a little Remington 572 Field Master in there for a reasonable price. Hands down the best .22 ever made. Mine is magically accurate and it's almost 70 years old. Soooo many critters have met their fate...

It's probably the best firearms enthusiast forum in the US and it's PNW based.
Members organize to do public land range clean-ups and also collaborate with local jurisdictions to build public ranges.

#1016729 - 11/08/19 07:59 AM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
NickD90 Offline

I spent 2 hours going through the site and listings last night just for fun. Some good stuff can be found.

If you ever see any nicer Weatherby Mark V's in .300wm or .338wm, let me know...

#1016743 - 11/08/19 10:33 AM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Only if you plan on selling said Mark V's at a profit to the unsuspecting public that succumbs to the marketing hype....

#1016751 - 11/08/19 12:07 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: NickD90]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I spent 2 hours going through the site and listings last night just for fun. Some good stuff can be found.

If you ever see any nicer Weatherby Mark V's in .300wm or .338wm, let me know...

Will do.
Seems like just a few days ago there was an early WBY for sale built on a Mauser action from the South Gate era.
Can't remember the chambering....might have been .300 WBY

1952 pre-Mk V
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/thread...6/#post-2378136

The Vanguard Deluxe looks a lot like a Mk V...
https://www.gricegunshop.com/wbyvgx300wr4o-wby-vanguard-deluxe-300wbymag-24-wlnt.html

#1016761 - 11/08/19 04:40 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Driftin']
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: Driftin'
Only if you plan on selling said Mark V's at a profit to the unsuspecting public that succumbs to the marketing hype....

Kindly disagree about the hype. They've been exceptional rifles for the family and I since the early 50's. Are there better boutique or custom rifles today? Absolutely - no question. But the quality and value at price point is extremely hard to beat for WBY production rifles. Bombproof action & lugs that always work and are as smooth as silk. Their MC stocks fit me perfect - which is personal preference right there, but I love their fit. My current rebuilt WBY .308 pack rifle is a sub 0.5 MOA tack driver that'll out shoot rifles twice it's price. Just under 6lbs with a loaded up 5 rd AICS box mag & scope. Flawless performance - to weight - to price ratio. While I've upgraded it substantially - save the action, bolt & barrel, you'd still have to spend 2x to find a comparable production set-up. I'd take it over a Tikka, Sendero or Kimber any day. A Cooper or Gunwerks? I'm not crazy.

Besides....old school Weatherby's are just so cool. If old American huntin' guns could tell stories, I'm certain Weatherby's would be Mark Twain.

Edited by NickD90 (11/08/19 04:42 PM)

#1016908 - 11/12/19 12:06 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Light guns are fun and all...but a whole different beast to shoot from their heavier siblings.

Been a learning curve shooting the Kimber Mountain Ascent .300WSM

Can't wait to explore the Iderho pan handle next fall and see if I can't miss a shot at BuckZilla! rofl Speaking of which, I bought new Exo Mountain Pack 3 years ago and have yet to get it bloody. Grrr.

#1016910 - 11/12/19 12:34 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: NickD90]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Kindly disagree about the hype.

Duly noted.

Per my statement about Mk V marketing hype, there are a number of facts and physics that infer that conclusion....

Roy's storied catalyst for pushing cup & core bullets faster was wounding and losing a UT mulie. That logic was an obvious cart and horse paradox, as I've never seen a case head stamp kill anything.

Roy's 9 and 6 lug bolts tolerances have less than stellar engagement. Should you be so inclined, wet one up with a Sharpie to confirm. Some larger caliber WM MK V bolts have become 8 and less lug bolts for those that have moved well beyond their first box of ammo.

All those extra lugs and OEM mag constraints combine to limit COAL for modern, slippery projectiles.

Pushing projectiles with beach ball BC's faster pale when compared to moderate pressures/velocities launching javelins.

Proprietary WM brass metallurgy and increased pressure limits reloading case life, barrel life and increases costs. There are far better modern options than WM that provide lower ES/SD, longer case life/reduced cost and magazine capacity/leg room for svelte bullets, particularly SAUM, WSM and PRC/RCM. Personal preference is 308 parent necked down (7mm, 6.5mm or 6mm) and Creedmore for best bang for the buck.

Twist rates don't provide requisite rpm for higher BC's in some WM calibers. Same goes for the 1940's throat geometry. Your .308 is more than likely a 12-twist that really limits BC options.

26" barrels, wood and blued carbon steel are for those that don't hunt in wet climates or do much vertical in a season.

Weatherby triggers are at the lower end of the bell curve when compared to modern options.

Roy's offerings are manufactured under contract, Howa being a major provider.

New Mk V's are in the $3k range. Discerning minds will opt for finding a SS donor rifle and putting together a package that melds chambering, throat, mag constraints, twist, moderate recoil, weight and other preferences to a slippery bullet with excellent external and terminal ballistic characteristics for far le$$. Might even make it so fun that it is used more than a couple days a year. Anyone with a computer running JBM Ballistics can put WM marketing hype to rest. YMMV.

Horse back before the cart? *grin*

#1016911 - 11/12/19 12:42 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: The Moderator]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: elparquito
Light guns are fun and all...but a whole different beast to shoot from their heavier siblings.

Been a learning curve shooting the Kimber Mountain Ascent .300WSM

Always wondered about your choice to go that chambering in an ultra LW platform. Physics still apply.... *grin*

#1016912 - 11/12/19 12:46 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Well, that makes two of us.

rofl

Good thing I have a great little proven .270 as a backup rifle. wink

#1016926 - 11/12/19 01:44 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Feed it some 129 gr. LRX's over RL17 with Fed 210M ignition and they won't bounce off'n elk...

or dislodge your dentures.... *grin*

#1016958 - 11/12/19 09:52 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Driftin']
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: Driftin'

Kindly disagree about the hype.

Duly noted.

Per my statement about Mk V marketing hype, there are a number of facts and physics that infer that conclusion....

Roy's storied catalyst for pushing cup & core bullets faster was wounding and losing a UT mulie. That logic was an obvious cart and horse paradox, as I've never seen a case head stamp kill anything.

Roy's 9 and 6 lug bolts tolerances have less than stellar engagement. Should you be so inclined, wet one up with a Sharpie to confirm. Some larger caliber WM MK V bolts have become 8 and less lug bolts for those that have moved well beyond their first box of ammo.

All those extra lugs and OEM mag constraints combine to limit COAL for modern, slippery projectiles.

Pushing projectiles with beach ball BC's faster pale when compared to moderate pressures/velocities launching javelins.

Proprietary WM brass metallurgy and increased pressure limits reloading case life, barrel life and increases costs. There are far better modern options than WM that provide lower ES/SD, longer case life/reduced cost and magazine capacity/leg room for svelte bullets, particularly SAUM, WSM and PRC/RCM. Personal preference is 308 parent necked down (7mm, 6.5mm or 6mm) and Creedmore for best bang for the buck.

Twist rates don't provide requisite rpm for higher BC's in some WM calibers. Same goes for the 1940's throat geometry. Your .308 is more than likely a 12-twist that really limits BC options.

26" barrels, wood and blued carbon steel are for those that don't hunt in wet climates or do much vertical in a season.

Weatherby triggers are at the lower end of the bell curve when compared to modern options.

Roy's offerings are manufactured under contract, Howa being a major provider.

New Mk V's are in the $3k range. Discerning minds will opt for finding a SS donor rifle and putting together a package that melds chambering, throat, mag constraints, twist, moderate recoil, weight and other preferences to a slippery bullet with excellent external and terminal ballistic characteristics for far le$$. Might even make it so fun that it is used more than a couple days a year. Anyone with a computer running JBM Ballistics can put WM marketing hype to rest. YMMV.

Horse back before the cart? *grin*

Respectfully, I will have to take your word on all of that. I don't know enough of the engineering behind it to agree or disagree. All I know is their rifles (even the Howa's) have performed flawlessly for me / us over the years and lots of meat has hit the dirt. In my world, that's all that really matters. I don't have the time, money or patience at this point in my life to get into that "next level" of shooting sports. Maybe one day. But as far as today is concerned, I see a meat target, I shoot the meat target. As long as the boom happens and the meat takes a permanent nap, I'm happy.

#1016975 - 11/13/19 09:37 AM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
NickD90 Offline

Geez...a fella takes one nap, one time and he's branded for life.

rofl

#1016992 - 11/13/19 02:01 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Hanker
But as far as today is concerned, I see a meat target, Todd shoots the meat target. As long as the boom happens and I take a nap, I'm happy.

Geez...a fella takes one nap, one time and he's branded for life.

rofl

LOL rofl

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1016993 - 11/13/19 02:01 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
To be fair...Nick has sent a few deer to permanent naps of their own since that...unfortunate...incident wink

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1016998 - 11/13/19 04:52 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I wonder if Todd had that creepy, loving stare when he found Nick peacefully sawing logs ?

smile

#1017004 - 11/13/19 06:52 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
I wonder if Todd had that creepy, loving stare when he found Nick peacefully sawing logs ?

smile

He makes that look whenever he's around me. I mean I can't blame him, but it does kinda creep me out. If we're walking down a game trail together, I always let him go first.

#1017005 - 11/13/19 07:43 PM Re: 1949 Browning Superposed 12g Standard Grade $1500 [Re: Direct-Drive]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Too funny !

rofl

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |